Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 10:57:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick energy and training supplements  (Read 4808 times)
Aaron Shakow
Lurker

« on: November 26, 2007, 02:49:06 pm »

Two part question. Part One: Curious about people's experience with gels and "shot blocks" and such. I had never used energy foods in a race before, but tried both of them out yesterday. Hard to say without a baseline, but I didn't notice any obvious benefit compared with previous runs of the same length, and I ended up hitting the wall at more or less the time one would have expected (in hindsight). I could have just been drinking water and Gatorade.

Part Two: Presumably the problem was that my muscles weren't able to process the glucose efficiently, in part because it wasn't "loaded" in advance. Granted there's no substitute for training, but I wonder if any of you take particular dietary supplements to aid the process. I was basically just eating brown rice all week.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

I have had good experience with the gels in marathons, but I start to take them early so I don't get depleted.  I take my first around 7M, then another at 13 or 15, followed by another at 19 or 21 (typical plan, varies by race conditions: heat, access to fluids/gatorade, etc.)  I ran my first marathon (Top of Utah 2005) without using gels and carbing correctly and crashed starting about 21 miles (just depleted, not the dreaded Wall).  As long as they agree with your stomach, they are useful in a marathon if used correctly to avoid glycogen depletion.

Part 2:  I haven't taken any "supplements" so I don't have any advice for this topic.  As far as your diet, next time don't forget to also ensure you are getting enough protein in addition to the carbs for a better fueling of the muscles. 
Josse

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:29:59 pm »

For me replacement in a marathon is crucial but I have a hard time taking anything in a race because my stomach gets upset.  And it is something you have to practice in training and shorter races to see what works for you.  I like stuff with low sugars ( the long branch kind) and some protien as well.  I found that Perpetuem mixed with Heed from Hammer Nutrition works good for me, it is liquid so you have to carry a bottle is the only down side to it.  I also like the Hammer gels as well.  Also what you eat the morning of is improtant and should also be practiced in training to see what works well for you.  I like some carb/ light protien mix like peanut butter on whole wheat toast.  I will also have the Prepetuem/Heed mix before I run or race.  I wish that I new the secert to this but unfortunatly for me in marathons I think nerves play a big role as well.  
In Ogden marathon I used ginger tablets to settle my stomach and it worked well and gave me something to suck on as well.  I also used the Hammer products and this was the fisrt marathon I was not sick to my stomach for hours after, but I still hit the wall.  Patience and practice I guess?
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 04:53:27 pm »

I have used gels and shot blocs for 1/2 marathons and my first marathon and associated long runs.  I like the shot blocs because 3 shot blocs = 1 gel, so its appropriate to take about one shot block per two miles, and I like the ability to chew and swallow them.  I also like the exactness of the portions, rather than opening a gel and hoping I took about 1/2 of it or 1/3 of it, it's just not as exact.  I also like to take them before shorter races, since races tend to start later than my training runs and I need some energy for the races.

As far as energy supplements go, I am not the right person to ask either.  I use diet cherry pepsi when I need help and that is not advisable for runners so I am trying to hold off and take naps instead.  If you need more energy, then nap more!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 04:56:07 pm »

Aaron:

I think the root of the problem is hidden in the lack of proper training preceding the marathon. What happened was rather expected. 100-200 miles a month is enough for for a decent (although not your very best) half. You did run a good half, and then the lack of base came to get you. This can happen in a number of ways - muscle cramps, low energy, stomach problems, or even an old injury flaring up. The body is stressed, one weak sub-system gives out a bit, and that causes a domino effect. The solution is to somehow figure out a way to find some time and get work your schedule to be sane enough to where you are running 60 miles a week consistently.
Aaron Shakow
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 01:26:02 am »

Thanks, all. Sasha: granted, for sure. The problem has not been work schedule so much--with the 5:30 runs 60 is doable, though bedtime can be a problem--rather increasing mileage slowly to avoid the RSIs I've experienced previously. Probably would have waited another two or three months to solidify the base, but running a marathon was one of my new year's resolutions, so there was a timing issue.  In any case, I was genuinely interested in people's experiences with energy foods and carbo-loading rather than looking to slough off the need for training!
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:03:41 pm »

I used gels (GU) in my first and second marathons.  In my first, I was undertrained (only ~ 30MPW) and started fading at around 14/15 miles.  Second was Portland where the wall was tall and strong at 19.  Decide that maybe gels weren't the way to go and to just use Gatorade in Seattle and no wall this time.  Somehow, I don't think the extra 7 training weeks made that huge a difference for me, so something was definitely off in my energy plan for Portland.
I also focused more on my carbo-loading this time around (although not as well as you....brown rice all week?  Wow, that's dedication!).  Made sure the 3 days prior I always had some carbs to nibble on throughout the day.  Also took in more liquid carbs around 5:30 race morning to top off the stores. 
For training runs, I've tried to start going without supplements other than water to try to train my body to do without, and I honestly believe that helps.  Used to bonk on long training runs early on, but that hasn't happened in a while now. 
Looks like you did just about everything you could to prepare energy wise....your body just needs time (and training) to help it get better at using what it has available. 
Ted Leblow
Posting Member

"Don't give up...don't ever give up." - Jimmy V.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 07:31:40 pm »

I think it varies greatly from person to person and agree that the only way to find out is to test it out on long training runs etc... I do think that gels, drinks are a good idea and even more important during hotter races.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: