Fast Running Blog
May 05, 2024, 12:10:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cramps during a Marathon  (Read 7103 times)
Aaron Clement
Lurker

« on: June 15, 2009, 08:42:34 am »

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting here...(I'm a new member Smiley). 
I had an insident just recently in a marathon I ran in.  I ran
it here in humid Singapore.  I got severe cramping in both legs
around the 30km mark.

I read Bonnie's post about her night cramps... would the same
advice work for the marathon run?

This wasn't a problem during my training... and in the marathon
it didn't happen until the 30km mark... from then on I couldn't
run properly...had to keep stopping at the aid stations.

Is this a result of not enough electrolytes?  I was told
taking power gells around the 12km is advisable (which I never
took)... I was however making good use of the drink stations
 during the race-taking both water and electrolyte drinks...
would taking power gells have been enough to stop the
cramps?

I must admit I do sweat a lot...

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Regards,

Aaron from Singapore
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:25:20 am »

I know I am low on muscle glycogen when I start feeling cramped in the quads. No cure for it other than go out slower or train better - higher mileage, more long tempo runs. When you start feeling cramped, ease off the pace, do not fight it, or it will get worse. Try to relax, practice running relaxed, then once you get the hang of it gradually increase the effort, but not to the point that you start running tense.

There is a different type of cramp that you can get in the middle of the night. I do not know of a cure for it either. I do know that it can happen when the taper is too drastic.
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 02:19:47 pm »

Aaron,  I think my cramping was different from the ones you experienced, they happened a couple weeks following my marathon so it is unlikely to have been the culprit. 

The scientific evidence for the cause of cramping during marathons historically had been attributed to electrolyte imbalance -- but two studies more recently have attributed them to muscle fatigue (Schwenllnus, MP, Sports Medicine. 2007; 37(4-5): 364-7) (Maughan. J Sports Sci. 1986 Spring;4(1):31-4).   

"Muscle cramps are sudden, intense, electrically active contractions elicited by motor neuron hyperexcitability. Although it is commonly assumed that cramps during exercise are the result of fluid electrolyte imbalance induced by sweating, two studies have not supported this. Moreover, participants in occupations that require chronic use of a muscle but do not elicit profuse sweating, such as musicians, often experience cramps. Fluid electrolyte imbalance may cause cramps if there is profuse prolonged sweating such as that found in working in a hot environment. Thus, despite the common occurrence of pain associated with exercise, the exact cause of these pains remains a mystery."

Miles, MP and Clarkson, PM.  J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 1994 Sep;34(3):203-16
Aaron Clement
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:20:29 am »

Thanks Sasha and Bonnie for the feedback. 

Yeah, I was running faster and for longer than in training.  Maybe
I wasn't quite ready to race it... will look into running
more relaxed as you say, Sasha.

Thanks Bonnie, yeah, i thought it was electrolytes, too... but i was
taking in a lot during the race... i was sweating a lot too, though.
maybe it was an inbalance... actually, the cramping i got
was quite severe... my muscles locked up... completely froze...
i had to lye on the ground until i could move them again...
never had it that bad before... so am guessing it has something
to do with lack of salt?  Has never been a problem before as
this is the first time i ran a marathon in Singapore...i ran a marathon
in Melbourne, Australia and was fine.

All your answers are food for thought... thanks very much for
the input.

Scott Hughes
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 05:57:16 pm »

When I ran the Salt Lake marathon I started cramping in my calves at mile 15. I had made a focused effort to be hydrated the week prior and during the race. I started feeling fatigued around mile 11 and feeling it mostly in my hamstrings....nothing bad just a twinge. I had felt pretty good about how the race had gone but started to notice that I was slowing down. My cramping continued to the finish line 11 miles later.
I was most concerned about this because I had never had that problem before. I had heard everything from electrolite defeciency, lack of salt, lack of magnesiam, lack of calcium...all kinds of things. I finally determined that I had gone out too fast for the first 5+ miles and had basically burned out. Another contributer to the problem I found was not stretching enough in my training. I am now workjing hard to stretch properly along with mentally preparing better to not go out too fast...it is easy to do that when everyone is pumped up.
Hope things work out for you!
Aaron Clement
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:41:55 am »

Thanks for the input, Scott...

You actually bring up an interesting point because I think I've been guilty in the past for not stretching enough.  I did go out at a faster pace than normal... so will work on both these areas... hadn't thought about stretching more... I think I'll start doing that...

Thanks for that feedback.

Cheers,

Aaron
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:03:29 am »

Hey Aaron;

I have never had cramping during a run or race (up to 100 miles) SINCE I began using supplemental electrolytes (Table Salt, E-Caps, or S-Caps).  I had a bad experience at Boston (89) where I was undertrained (due to injury) and began cramping at approx mile 16.  During the race, I thought the cramping was due to lack of conditioning.  After finishing I passed out and upon regaining consciousness, my vision was very blurry.  A single salty potato chip hitting my tongue cleared my vision; so I'm convinced my problem was low sodium.

At a particularly warm Phoenix Rock-n-Roll Marathon a couple years back, the race organizers were handing out (restaurant style) salt packs at the start.. Their advice.. Take one now (with water) and carry one with you to take if you start cramping.. I think that's reasonable advice for anyone who has a history of cramping in hot weather, although many would suggest that 2 packets of salt are potentially unhealthy.  Note: In my opinion, reinforced by anecdotal evidence (observing myself and other runners in ultra events) its impossible to consume adequate electrolytes from sports drinks or gels.  I've lost track of how many times I've had the "electrolyte discussion" with a struggling or cramping rookie ultra runner who thinks s/he is getting enough electrolytes from gels & ade.. and who magically recovers after a couple of S-Caps or a few salty pretzels.   

I also believe that when a runner pre-hydrates by drinking copious amounts of plain water in the days leading up to a race, that they flush electrolytes from their system, leaving them more prone to an electrolyte deficiency on race day.

Suggestion:  Research "Hammer Endurolytes" + "Succeed Caps" (These are the favorites among ultra-runners).  Note the difference in composition (Succeed Caps have approx 13 times as much sodium).

A Question:  Can anyone tell me what the female runners were pulling from their tops and ingesting during last's year's Olympic Marathon?  (I'm guessing electrolyte tabs??)

Happy Trails (Or Roads);
Gary
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:32:02 am »

Gary- I remember that the race commentators said at least a few were pulling medicine (IBprofin, tylenol) from their tops.  Some might have done electrolytes or salt, too, but I remember them talking about medicine.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 12:42:06 pm »

Gary - I find it interesting that a potato chip was able to clear your vision by hitting your tongue instantly. That is not enough time for the sodium to be absorbed. However, that can send a signal to the brain that the sodium is coming. It would be nice if somebody more familiar with the physiology could comment.

Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 06:06:45 pm »

Sasha;

The instant change in vision was shocking... perhaps it took 1/2 second... rather unbelieveable if I hadn't witnessed with my own eyes... I still experienced severe leg cramping later in the day and evening.

Paul;

Thanks.  I wonder if the race commentators knew for certain or were guessing?  I have taken naproxin during an ultra, and felt relief within 30 minutes, so I assume that the meds may work fast enough to help an elite runner in a marathon.
Aaron Clement
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 05:48:39 am »

Thanks Gary,

It seems to be really apparent to me know that salt was the problem... Maybe I was guilty of taking too much water
before hand as well... So I'll definitly be taking in the salt leading up to and during the run... I'm determined not to
let this happen again... I'll look into the 'S-Caps' as well... sounds like a good supplement to take... actually, a triathlete told me to take in salt the week leading up to the marathon, also... so am convinced
this should solve the problem... i guess you live and you learn...

Thanks for sharing!
John Ruprecht
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 12:06:04 am »

I believe the factors for me that have led to late race cramping in 1/2 marathons and marathons are:

1. Racing in shoes that you're not used to wearing (i.e. flats that put you up on your toes more than you are used to)
2. Lack of adequate training/mileage for the distance.
3.Dehydration

Something that seemed to help last time out in my marathon was drinking Tonic water before and during the marathon. I know mid-wives give quinine to mothers during labor to prevent cramping, so that was my rationale. I didn't have cramps during that race, but it may or may not have been due to the quinine.
Aaron Clement
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:54:06 am »

Thanks John,

I believe dehydration was also a factor.  Yes, I'll definitely be keeping well hydrated... i guess as you say mileage is a factor... I think it also came into the mix for me here... I ran faster than I was use to which probably helped to cause the cramps... so I guess it all adds up... It's not nice when you do get cramps and I'll remember this race for the rest of my life because of the cramps... the worst I had experienced...

Thanks for the tips.

Aaron
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: