Fast Running Blog
May 12, 2024, 06:57:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Layton Marathon OTQ Eligible?  (Read 6869 times)
allie
Posting Member

« on: August 07, 2010, 10:44:11 pm »

Just saw this post from the Layton Marathon on Facebook:

Layton Marathon: I just got off the Layton Marathon course with the USA Track and Field Certifier. He told me that the Layton Marathon not only qualifies for the Boston Marathon but also is an Olympic Qualifier and a Qualified World Record Setting Course. He said he thought we were the only course in the state of Utah that met these qualifications.

some questions:
-does this change any minds about fall race plans (i.e. instead of SGM?)
-who is planning on running it this year (or now considering it given this information)?
-what do you think about the course?
-timing of the race - if you were to run it next year - too close to the actual trials in January?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:10:51 pm by Allie » Logged
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 08:24:59 am »

Allie- I'm not trying to OTQ, but I had a couple of thoughts:
It's good that Utah has a OTQ marathon, now.  Not that it matters, but I'm pretty sure they are incorrect that it is World Record course eligible- the finish does not seem to be close enough to the start (IAAF rules are different than USATF).  So take that with a grain of salt.

If I were trying to OTQ, I would be a bit concerned about the fact it is a first time marathon- some little first-time race glitches could throw you off enough to miss the time (i.e. poor course markings, no port-o-potties, aid stations not set up, finishing line timers not ready).  Plus it is at altitude, which obviously slows you down.  If you only had once chance, I would be hesitant to do it at a first time, high-altitude race.  Fortunately, you still have over a year, so can run Layton this year knowing that you will have other chances if something goes wrong there.

Regarding your last question- if you just want to qualify and then run the Trials to have a good experience, the small gap shouldn't matter.  But if you want a top performance at the Trials, then 2011 Layton marathon would not seem ideal timing-wise.  Paul or one of the other OTQ from 2007 could tell you more about that.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:31:05 pm »

I've looked at the Layton Marathon a little bit, and I thought about doing the half marathon this year. I do like that it's not a downhill course. We have enough of those around here. But I'm probably going to stay away until the race matures a little bit and I hear some good reviews. 1st-year races are often glitchy.

I do think the altitude is of concern, and also there will be some decent hills on the course, namely on Antelope Island (the beginning), and then it will be an uphill finish into Layton once you get off the causeway. But time of year is nice (usually good weather still).

I think an early October race gives plenty of time to recover and then do another full training cycle before the Trials in mid-January. I don't see that as an issue. I suppose Layton could work well as a last-ditch race for 2011, but due to the few hills and the altitude (and also lack of prize money and therefore competition), I'll likely travel elsewhere if I still need a qualifier at that point. If they added prize money, I might consider it. From what I've read about the race, they've designed it to be an alternative (consolation) for those who did not get into St George. Since StG is now turning away about 50% of people in the lottery, that's not a bad idea. But it's designed as a consolation to StG, not direct competition, so I kind of expect it to be an inferior race to StG. But then again, that is how Top of Utah began (for StG lottery rejects), and now it's a pretty great race that stands on its own. So maybe Layton will develop into a nice race like TOU has. In any case, I'll be interested in hearing reviews and seeing results from this year. I just don't think the course will be "fast enough" but I would be happy to be wrong about it.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 10:51:04 am »

Allie:

To qualify on an OTQ eligible course in Utah is worth trying if you have at least 2:42 flat sea level marathon in you on a bad day. Otherwise, there is a high chance of missing it with a marathon in your legs for a reward. Altitude with no downhill is a killer in the  marathon.
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:13:48 pm »

I would travel rather than risk it.  Agree about altitude, lack of competition, and it being a race without a track record.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:14 pm »

I'm actually thinking about doing the half, but only I see that it starts at 7am. Impossible for me to make it out there that early without help. Anyone want to give me a ride? Roll Eyes
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 08:05:28 am »

james - i am planning on running the 5K, so you can catch a ride with me if you want.

as for the race being OTQ eligible, i agree about the altitude and the risk of running in a brand new race. i have no intention to run the marathon this year, or even run an OTQ time for 2012. i was just wondering what others thought because it reminded me of previous discussions of creating a flat, OTQ eligible course in utah. i didn't think it would catch on since it is competing with the two well-established fall marathons, but apparently they have almost reached their cap this year. it will be interesting to see if it catches on as a major race, but i just can't see it drawing people away from TOU or SGM. i guess it would mostly draw in the runners who didn't get in at SG. 
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 09:32:54 am »

Allie, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the event. I'm still tempted to do the half, but don't want to bother driving to Layton, so maybe next year.

So far, I'm not seeing these new races cannibalizing themselves yet. It seems like if you put on a new race, people will come out of the woodwork to run it, and all races are still increasing their numbers. Especially half marathons. If you look at the numbers for Provo River, Hobble, Park City, and TOU Half, they are all generally going up or holding steady despite all those races being about a week apart. If anything, an October half marathon in northern Utah is much more needed than an October marathon. The only other half I know of in Utah is The Other Half, which is kind of far for most people, plus on Sunday.
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 11:48:30 am »

Allie you are the greatest.  You are running TOU this weekend right? If so, good luck
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: