Fast Running Blog
May 11, 2024, 12:53:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running pace - treadmill vs outside  (Read 4475 times)
Jon Schap
Lurker

« on: March 28, 2012, 10:59:19 am »

I would like everyone's thoughts on the difference in effort for a given pace on a treadmill versus running outside.  I typically find it is a bit easier running on a treadmill compared to running outside.  To compensate, I run at a 1% incline on the treadmill, but it still feels easier to me.  What do you think the differential is in terms of seconds per mile (1% incline on a treadmill compared to running on a flat road/pavement? 15 seconds? 30 seconds?

I guess a good way to test would be to use a HR monitor, but I have never really trained using one before.
Bret Jardine
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 11:43:00 am »

This link has a conversion table which may help in your inquiry: http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php
Jon Schap
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:10:22 pm »

Thanks Bret!  This is very helpful.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 03:56:39 pm »

I've run on a lot of different treadmills in my day, and I found it is highly dependent on the treadmill calibration/accuracy.  8 mph on one treadmill at my gym can be a MUCH different pace than 8 mph on another treadmill.  Especially when they are different makes/models.

Personally, I don't run with the 1% incline.  Running Times showed it doesn't matter at paces slower than about 6:00 min/mile, plus I find I heat more inside due to lack of air movement.

Heart Rate monitor seems a good way to run at same effort. 
Nate Page
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:05:04 am »

Effort based, I have always found the treadmill a lot harder at base pace runs but easier when I'm at tempo pace and faster. I've never busted out the HRM for it but I imagine it's the best way to figure it out.

Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

For me, TM seems harder than equivalent pace outside.  Of course, my treadmill is a piece of junk, with a very flexible deck.  Because of all the recoil, energy return is much better off the road. 
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 06:24:44 pm »

If my treadmill went downhill, that's where I would set it to get an equivalent feel.  The heat and boredom inside make it harder, at least for me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: