Fast Running Blog
May 06, 2024, 05:49:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: For those shoe obsessed...  (Read 3461 times)
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« on: April 23, 2009, 09:22:53 am »

Interesting article..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1170253/The-painful-truth-trainers-Are-expensive-running-shoes-waste-money.html
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:53:58 am »

I think it sums it up well. I train in flats or lightweights and barefoot...forms become better, speeds become better, went from being able to only run about 2-3 miles last year barefoot (when on regular trainers) to being able to run 8-10 miles now...and at about the same pace as any normal run. Took a while to get used to it....its also the most cost-effective training program. Sometimes I'll get off of a barefoot run feeling better than before I ran.

I think its funny that the Nike Free slogan is "Run Barefoot" or "Run Natural"...especially since they still want you to buy their shoes. Like saying "Breathe Easier"...buy our cigarettes.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 11:02:16 am »

Adam- how did you adjust to barefoot running?  What did you do?  How long did it take?

When you say barefoot, do you run on grass?  Vibram five fingers?  Or barefoot everywhere?

I'm thinking of experimenting with barefoot.  One problem, though, is my trail runs- rocks hurt if you don't have shoes!
James Winzenz

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »

I have experimented with barefoot running before, but found it hard to find places where I could run either on grass or on sidewalk that was clean enough.  I have done runs before in what are essentially "aquasocks", and they felt pretty good.  I totally agree that form gets better from doing barefoot running, but I am probably going to go the route of getting some vibram five fingers when I come out for St. George this year (assuming I get in), as I really need to get fitted for them.  However, right now, I also wear lightweight trainers and flats and think that my form has improved from when I was running in  more cushioned stability shoes.
adam

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 02:42:37 pm »

I run on grass, barefoot, normally around parks or on sports fields...maybe once or twice a week.

If I had a soft dirt trail around I would enjoy doing that more over grass, though. I do not do roads barefoot..there is just too much stuff on them that I can't see. You could probably do barefoot on the track as well..I remember reading the Jack Daniels does his workouts barefoot on an indoor track at NAU.

First I began running barefoot once or twice a week for 10-15 minutes as part of a double run day...usually as part of the easy run...maybe I'd run a mile take my shoes off, then do 1-2 barefoot, then run another with shoes back on. I think warming up is important when adjusting. Did that a couple of times for a few weeks, and moved up in time and distance. I also started training more in flats instead of trainers the same way. Eventually you adapt and can do it more often/longer/faster. Also, I usually do a few runs in light socks before I go straight to barefoot. I guess you could use tape as well.

I'm still not at the point where I don't feel hot spots or rubbing on my feet afterwards...but I think that depends alot on the surface you use..a nice soft thick grass is going to feel better than a bumpy hard grass area with sticks and roots so some days are better than others. You might get a few blisters...but at the same time, you'll notice them more near the forefoot, which means you are generally running much more than normal on your forefoot and avoiding the heel striking.

I haven't tried the Five Fingers. Sasha has and takes them on the road. They might be good for rocky surfaces...but I would be careful with those. I wouldn't doubt that if you gave yourself enough time to adapt you could do five fingers on trails, but you would definitely have to ease into it..maybe run a section of trail that is pretty clear of the big stuff.

As for the shift in running shoes...I have found that since I have been running in flats/lightweights for the last year, anything that is considered a normal running shoe does not feel comfortable and feels awkward. Brooks sent me a new kind of Glycerin (DNA they call it) to wear test and I've only been able to run about 40 miles in them...since January.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: