Fast Running Blog
May 08, 2024, 08:12:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Places to run near Disneyland.  (Read 12391 times)
Preston
Lurker

« on: March 26, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »

I am taking my wife to Disneyland this weekend for her birthday, and was wondering if any of you know a good safe route near the park, or if there are any good trails nearby.  Any help would be much appreciated! 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »

Preston,

When I was there a few years ago, we stayed on the east side of the park and I ran over to the Santa Ana River (concrete spillway) bike trail a few times.  Lots of bikers, a couple of runners, and a bunch of homeless guys.  I sure wouldn't want my wife running by herself on it, but I imagine a guy or group of people are fine. 
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 06:10:41 pm »

Rob (robrohde) just spent like a week or more there recently. You might want to send him a message.
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 06:20:58 pm »

How sketchy was the Santa Ana River Trail? I am kind of picturing it like the Jordan River Parkway north of 3300 So.  Is that about what it is like?

And thanks for the info Jake, I will message him.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:07:52 am »

I'm not familiar with Jordan River Parkway.

It was a bit sketchy.  Like I said, I was cautious and aware running by myself, but I went there 4 or 5 times to apparently not too worried.  But I wouldn't really want my wife on it alone.

It also depended where you were.  If you started at the Anaheim Angel's stadium and ran south, it was fairly nice for a few miles- ran along a golf course, etc.  North seemed a bit sketchier.  But then after a few miles going south, it changed, too.

I decided it was worth it to not run concrete around the park, though.
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

Growing up in Anaheim in the 60s and 70s, my house was right on the Santa Ana River Trail - or "the bike trail" as we called it. It was really safe then.

Of course my info could be a little dated. Near Disneyland? I'd say the hotel treadmill.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 01:09:10 pm »

I was there last month and just did laps around the outside of the park.  Each lap is 3.5 miles. 
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 05:48:13 pm »

I lived in SoCal for a decade and would definitely not want my wife running the River Trail on her own (wouldn't sweat it with a group).  Also, if you're not familiar with "Anacrime", I'd stick to a treadmill or run in circles near the park-for it's easy to wander into a sketchy area. 
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2012, 06:15:25 pm »

I guess the thing is I probably run in a place considered unsafe by most Utahns every day, after all . . . I am from West Valley  Grin
Rob Rohde
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:14:46 am »

That trail is totally safe,  I ran it at least 15 times at 5:00am and never had an issue.  Running up Katella to get there was a little sketchy but no one ever bothered me, you can drive up and park in the Honda Stadium parking lot if you don't want to dodge traffic getting there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/64555149
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 04:00:04 pm »

Everywhere is safe at 5 am cause everyone is asleep, even the bad guys Smiley  Just the crazy runners are up and about.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 06:48:50 pm »

My wife who grew up in Long Beach who lived near that trail would never run it alone ever...she made me post it and say, "why take a chance?" 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:57:59 pm »

Would you and your wife recommend only females not run it alone?  Or males, too?
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »

John, good point.  My wife thinks I'd be fine, but is uncomfortable as a female- no homes, traffic, or people nearby at points to hear a cry for help.  She's experienced a "flasher" on a trail (different place on SoCal) which has caused her to be more cautious about running in isolated areas. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: