Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 02:53:58 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Utah Valley Marathon and 5 K  (Read 14180 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: January 17, 2009, 09:28:43 pm »

The Utah Valley Marathon and 5 K will be held on June 13th. Registration at

https://www.raceit.com/register/?event=201

For more info, go to

http://www.utahvalleymarathon.com/

The race is highly recommended by the Fast Running Blog.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:56:22 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
Davy Crockett
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 02:27:24 pm »

I ran the marathon last year, my second marathon.   It was great fun.   A nice unusual course.   My report is at: http://www.crockettclan.org/blog/?p=109
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:58:24 pm »

The marathon is now part of the Utah Grand Slam, and has moved the finish area to the Provo Town Center.  The new course will no longer go around the airport, and we will  be starting on US 189 (Canyon Road) instead of South Fork canyon.  One of the very few complaints I had from last year was about the portion of the course that went around the airport, but we have taken that out and moved our finish line to a more prominent location.  The prize money goes 3 deep now for men and women.  The champions get very nice watches from Sierra West Jewelers in addition to the prize money. 

All of our proceeds go to the Children with Cancer Christmas Foundation.  The first 10 miles will be on the main highway with the right lane closed for the race.  We have a goal of getting 1000 runners between the marathon and 5K, so please come try out our new improved course.  You can call me anytime with any questions you may have: 801-472-7866
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 09:14:51 am by Hyrum » Logged
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:49:12 am »

The Provo Riverwoods 10 miler is the same day.  How is that going to work?

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 11:11:14 am »

With the change in the course I guess we have to be prepared to run on concrete on the highway instead of asphalt on the trails, right?
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 01:12:31 pm »

Hyrum, is Utah Valley a Boston qualifier?  I have a buddy who was thinking of running it but wasn't sure if it is USATF certified and Boston eligible.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 03:30:40 pm »

It is USATF certified, or at least it will be before the race starts.
jtshad

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 01:31:07 pm »

Thanks, Sasha.  It wasn't on the list on the USATF website so it that is good news about getting certified.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:31:57 pm »

USATF website is extremely out of date, much more than our Race Calendar.
maryannsc
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 01:22:45 pm »

Cash prizes have gone up to $1000 again for first, Hyrum just told me yesterday.  They must be getting such great numbers signed up that they can afford more.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:45:39 pm »

Heck - having it as part of the Grand Slam will definitely boost its numbers.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2009, 02:27:14 pm »

I just got an email from the Provo 10 miler director saying that he is having a marathon that day, "The Provo Marathon."  Is he nuts or will this work?  It seems very strange to me.

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 02:51:31 pm »

The courses do not overlap, as I understand. UVM goes on the highway while Provo River 10 miler will follow the trail. I do not expect to see a whole lot of activity in the marathon part of it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 03:03:49 pm »

It seems like the race directors would want to change dates so they don't overlap.  With only a couple Utah County marathons all year, is seems like a waste for them to be on the same day.  Kind of like if 4th of July and Christmas were on the same day.
adam

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 04:46:39 pm »

A little marathon competition...the Provo Trail 10 mile is the same day as well, with their marathon attached. So, there are 3 races going on (2 marathons and the Provo Riverwoods 10mile).

Really the UVM is growing quickly and will soon be on par as a distinguished marathon in Utah. The trail run one has less participants and seems like it is on its way out....kind of been struggling the last few years. Hyrum is doing a good job advertising...I've seen signs all over Utah county (Maceys is a sponsor and has banners out in Orem, Provo, Spanish Fork, etc) and so I would expect it to draw a few more faster runners and more participants.

Sadly, though, it did not make it into BYU's acclaimed newspaper as even being a marathon in Utah, let alone Utah County (I noticed an article in their paper a few weeks ago while at their indoor track). Student reporters...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: