Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 08:19:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Organizing a 5K  (Read 6889 times)
Christi
Lurker

« on: December 03, 2007, 08:42:33 pm »

I'm organizing a 5k walk/ run for March of '09 with another guy who's fairly new to running.  This race will benefit ALS (Lou Gerrig's disease) Yes, I will learn to spell Lou's name before the race- HA! Anyway- I was wondering if anyone had any tips on who to use for the race timing (I'm in St. George) I plan on talking to Steve at the SG Running Center- but I thought I'd open this up for tips from all you bloggers.  I have run lots of races, but never been on the planning end.  I would also like to know from a runner's standpoint what is most important to you in a race (obviously we need to focus on all these areas) but would you say that accurate timing/ measurement of course, awards, food, etc. is most important to you? Any tips anyone?  Also if anyone is the St. George area would like to help volunteer their time we would LOVE to have you on board!  We have over a year to plan this race, but want to get all our ducks in a row so its a success!
Christi
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 08:53:42 pm »

"Gehrig", there, corrected my spelling...now I feel better...
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:10:09 pm »

I was in charge of a fundraising 5K for four years.  It is alot of work, so the best thing that you can do for your sanity is to create a good volunteer committee and have people who are willing to take ownership of:

1.  Advertising
2.  Sponsorships
3.  Logistics
4.  Volunteer coordination
5.  Food
6.  Awards

I think that if the goal of a race is fund-raising, then you want good cash sponsorships, and great race attendance, which hinges on both good advertising and a good race experience for those who attend.  The cash sponsorships follow good attendance and good causes.  I personally think that cash prizes for top runners is important, since top runners should be awarded.  However, effective and big drawings and well run races draw crowds.  I do not have a reference for a good timing company.  The company we used had mixed reviews.  If you have specific questions or want more help, just let me know.  The first year I was in charge I sat down with a couple of race coordinators to pick their brains on successful strategies they used in running their races.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:25:15 am »

I personally think that cash prizes for top runners is important, since top runners should be awarded.
One thing (which is actually rather silly of me) that I really like in a race is when the top 3 overall runners get prizes, not just 1st overall. I've gotten 2nd overall in so many races where there's a great prize for 1st overall and absolutely nothing for 2nd overall. So, this is mostly out of bitterness, but I'm sure there are other people that would appreciate that kind of thing. Just a random thought.

If I'm in town in March of '09, I'd love to help, but even if I'm not, my parents (though non-runners) would probably be good assets to your cause. Since it is a long while away, they don't really know what exactly they would help with, but they're willing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 12:29:24 am by Ruth Hilton » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:20:47 am »

Get the course USATF certified, especially if you plan on doing it annually. Have mile markers in the right places. As a bonus, have quarter mile markers.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:55:04 am »

I agree with Ruth about the prizes for the top runners.  To me, "top runners" should include at least top 3.
Josse

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 01:09:16 pm »

I like to run races that are on good, fast courses.  I like the way runner card does there timing system.  You get the results right after you finish.  And I think starting the race on time is a must.
Logan Fielding
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 02:34:40 pm »

Make sure it is organized.  I have run in some races that were not organized (i.e. race started 45 minutes late, terrible awards, ran out of water and gatorade) and it made me not want to ever run in that race again.  My parents live in Santa Clara and would love to help out.  They are all into doing this.
Dave Holt
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:48:47 pm »

One thing that always drives me nuts is how long it takes some races to do awards.  I am never going back to Butch Cassidy because it is 2 hours after the race that they even start awards.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 06:47:19 pm »

Here in Chicago the local running organization will "certify" races only if they follow a list of about 90 requirements for their races. It's probably annoying for the organizers, but it is great for the runners. I know that when I run one of these races that there will be accurate mile markers, water, awards, a good start/finish area, good timing, etc. The races that don't follow the requirements don't get certified and most people shy away from running those races.

The requirements are listed somewhere on their webpage www.cararuns.org .    I recommend taking a look.
Ruth Hilton
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:44:33 pm »

The (rather lengthy) list is in a .pdf file at this address: http://www.cararuns.org/~/media/EEBC816B08614BED9CA3108E2C0E2627.ashx
Jeff Frodsham
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 07:44:01 am »

Most races I have done have runner card. It is nice because you get a card with your time and place and stuff on it. I like to keep everything so I put the card with my number from the race. I also like the idea of top 3 or so getting prizes.

http://www.runnercard.com/e/runner.Main

Adam R Wende

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 08:25:18 am »

Though I always like the chance to "bring home the money" I think that for a fundraiser donation prizes are best. I've only brought home cash a few times. However, in a few fundraiser races I've been in I've seen the winner give back the check. I do however agree that more than one deep is important. I would try and get 10 donation gift certificates ranging from the cost of entry to 10X the cost of entry. Then deligate those to the top five overall in each sex or top in each of five age group per sex. I'm sure some people will disagree but this could work wonders... Personally, for a 5K if it is for a cause I support I'll run it for a medal.
Cory Birt
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 07:37:52 am »

Here are the requirements to sanction a race with the Houston Area Road Runners Association.  I've found their runs to be well organized and standardized.

http://www.harra.org/955dir/Operations/requirements.html

Good luck with your event!
Christi
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 10:28:54 pm »

YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!  This is exactly the kind of feedback I need.  I'm kinda overwhelmed, putting this on for the 1st time, esp. because I know how hard us seasoned runners are to please!!! hee hee... But you have given me some good starting points to try to break this up into managable pieces.  Ruth & Logan- thanks for volunteering your parents- they may be hearing from me! 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: