Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 09:57:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking Spin class with during marathon training  (Read 2612 times)
Nate
Lurker

« on: December 03, 2008, 05:14:43 am »

My wife and I have been taking 45 min. (16-19 mi.) "spin classes" twice a week since August and it is really some weeks the only time we get to spend alone together because we have a 2 year old daughter, time demanding professions, etc.  I am starting "official" training for a PR of 3:14 at Grandma's Martahon in June.  Anyone with thoughts on incorporating the "spins" effectively while maximizing my run training and allowing the necessary recovery for my legs? 

My initial thoughts are to tone back on one of the classes and just pedal while she works hard, maybe that is on a REST day, and going hard in the other one, either adding a shorter, faster tempo run immediately before or after, with close to 24 hours of rest before the next training run.

Thanks in advance!  This is my first post, but was fascinated to read many of the other entries this morning.  Looking forward to being a part of this community.

nate
Haynes Heaton
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2008, 05:31:15 pm »

Last spring I did an hour long spin class 3 days per week.  I trained straight through it and had my best running season so far (I have gotten better, but not at the rate I did that season).  My spin class was in the morning so I would run in the afternoons (treated it like running doubles).  I ended up doing probably 10 miles less per week than I would have had I not been taking the class (which meant that I was getting more aerobic stimulus than I would have had I not taken the class).  I just made sure to do my workouts on days that I did not have spin class, and if I felt tired I would go fairly easy in the spin class.  But as you probably already know, your legs recover much faster from spinning than from running because of the lack of impact.  Of course listen to your body if you are getting progressively more tired then take some days off of either spinning or running.

BTW, what temp is it usually for grandmas marathon?  If it is hot you should aim for something else (June is generally a bad time for marathons).
Nate
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 09:02:22 am »

Thanks for the reply, that is good to know that it improved your overall running.  I have begun some pre-training program running to build my base and do feel stronger than I normally do this time of year.  I would imagine that it's a direct correlation of taking up spin class.

This will be my 6th Grandma's Marathon and the past two years have been pretty humid.  I actually do not mind the heat although 2 years ago, it did get the best of me and my finish was disappointing.  Probably not the best race to try and qualify for Boston's though huh? I went to college and lived there for about 5 years, so it's a great excuse to travel back up there, plus my wife's Grandmother lives 3 miles from the race start with a great proximity to the starting line. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: