Fast Running Blog
September 30, 2024, 05:36:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking in Shoes  (Read 6354 times)
Eric Day
Posting Member

« on: November 19, 2008, 03:46:34 pm »

We all talk about breaking-in shoes. But has anybody mentioned when a shoe is broken in? After a run? A couple of run? certain amount of miles? After when would 'new' shoes be used for races?

What is your idea?
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 05:27:12 pm »

I usually wear shoes for a whole day inside the house before running in them.  I will then run a short run in them.  Then I run a longer run in them.  If I have no short runs in my horizon, I'll wear them indoors for two days, then have my first run be 10 miles, and I've had no problem with that approach.  It probably also depends on how sensitive your feet are and how prone you are to blisters/hot spots. 

With the race, I would make sure you have run at least the equivalent distance in them once (like a long run if its for a 1/2 marathon or marathon), or have at least 25 miles on the shoes.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 07:30:44 am »

i agree with Michelle. Once back in the 80s my dad stopped on the way to a 1/2 marathon and picked up a new box of Adidas Marathon trainers and laced them up just for the race.. big problem. Long story short by the end almost all his toes were gushing blood. Diehard or just a little dumb? :-P you decide.

I follow Michelle's Approach wearing them inside at least 1-2 days.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:22:37 pm »

I've never had a problem with unbroken shoes. I just put then on and go.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:28:34 am »

Wonder if shoes nowadays are like cars. Before, you needed to warm up cars before rolling into the street, now its not necessary. Maybe new shoes are something like that.
New shoes feel exactly the same 1st time & two months beyond that...

allie
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 09:47:33 am »

i've done a half-marathon with new shoes straight from the box, as well as the DesNews marathon in racing flats that i had only run in one time two days before the race. it all depends on the person, i guess. i don't have the patience to "break-in" new shoes before running in them. if i am going to spend the money, i want my feet to enjoy running in them ASAP!!
Rhett
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:43:06 pm »

I'm with those who put on a new pair and head out for a long run.  If you wearing the right shoes for your foot, they should be good to go right out of the box.  That being said, I usually try and put about 20 miles on a new pair right before a goal race.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 03:01:55 pm »

Just got another pair of Brooks Addictions. Wore them around the house for about an hour or two. You can definitely tell the difference between a new pair and one that has 400+ miles. SO much more support in the new ones. Might try running in them tomorrow or next day.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2009, 06:09:48 pm »

Bought a new pair of Asics Cumulus 10, and did my 20 mile long run in them a few weeks ago. No problem what so ever, no blisters, no NADA.
Todays shoes are ready to run.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 12:54:37 pm »

I never break in shoes and never have a problem with them, I wore bran spakin new shoes in St. George marathon and have done that several times.  But everyone is different.
April G
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 04:45:52 pm »

As long as they are the same make/model of shoes I have worn before, I just hop in the new ones and go.  Works for me.
Blaine Hawkes
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 10:26:51 am »

I tend to follow the same plan as Michelle. I wear them around for a day and then I'm off. It also depends on the shoe. My lighter weight Mizunos are easier to run in right from the start than my asics. As long as I have a good pair of socks then I generally have no problems.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 01:43:54 pm »

Never bothered breaking in shoes. They always feel great the first time out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: