Fast Running Blog
August 22, 2024, 01:19:37 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Screw Shoe for Snow and Ice running  (Read 4391 times)
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« on: November 07, 2008, 04:05:46 pm »

It was recommended to me to try Yaktraks for snow running and also this technique of screwing sheet metal screws into the bottom of my running shoes.  Here is the link. It sounds great, I was just wondering if any of ya'll have tried it and what you think about it Smiley
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Never Give Up!!! Never SURRENDER!!!!
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 04:17:28 pm »

I'd asked a similar question in this thread back in February:  http://fastrunningblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,201.0.html.
Since then, I've seen a bunch of reviews saying that the Yaktraks will only last about 1 season before they fall apart.  I asked for a pair of StabilIcers Sport http://www.32north.com/prod_sport.htm for my birthday, so I hope to try them out this year.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 04:39:56 pm »

I misread the tone of the thread title. I thought this would be a discussion about barefoot running.  Tongue
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 05:10:42 pm »

Bahahahahahaha!!!

dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 07:14:37 pm »

With the "hot foot" syndrome last week, I was ready to "screw" the socks as well.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:06:54 pm »

Yaktraks are no good at 5:30 pace at least on my feet. I tried a couple of years ago - they came off after two miles. They were fine at 7:00 pace. I imagine a heavier person would have problems with them at slower speeds, and a lighter one might be OK at faster speeds.
Marion McClellan
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 04:24:29 pm »

So nobody has tried the screw in the shoe thing, eh?  I am going to try it on a pair of old running shoes and see what happens!  I'll return and report! Smiley

jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:55:40 pm »

Dan S. on the blog used the screw approach last year and had some good success.  Picking the right length (I believe he used 0.25 inch)was the issue, too long and your feet don't like you, too short and the screws come out too easily.  I have used some Icejoggers (from RoadRunner sports) and they worked ok for training runs in packed snow and ice (no good in loose snow). 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: