Fast Running Blog
May 28, 2024, 12:33:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Didn't you know, marathons are bad for you....  (Read 3134 times)
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« on: October 28, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

Not sure if any of you caught this, but a recent article in Men's Health (it's available at their website) discusses the health risk of running a marathon unprepared.  One person recommends doing all the training for health benefits, but watch the race from the sidelines because of health risks.

My question for the group is have you ever felt like you've left a little bit of yourself on the course each time you raced a marathon?  What I'm getting at is a feeling that you've pushed too far and will not regain what was lost.  The history of marathon running supports this idea.  I've felt this way ever since my 4th marathon, but is it just mental or is their something physically lost each time?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 01:29:02 pm by Bob » Logged
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:15 pm »

I've left a lot on the track in races as short as 1000 meters. One time after a 3000 meter race I was on all fours and did not want to assume the vertical position for a while. My most painful race in the last 10 years was Draper Days 5 K 2004 when I ran my PR of 15:37. I've run 45 marathons plus or minus, and I have felt at 20 like I never wanted to run another marathon again, but none of them hurt as bad as that 5 K. That year I did not look forward to half marathons either because they were only slightly less painful per mile than an all out 5 K, but they lasted over an hour. Marathons were actually better - you just run out of fuel and jog in, it does not hurt, except the mental pain of not being in physical pain but not being able to go faster. But in all cases, two or three days later I felt in full health and ready to train and race again.

However, the article does make a valid point that it is a bad idea to run a marathon unprepared, and that health can be more easily compromised. A less trained runner is more likely to push himself into dangerous areas and do some irreparable damage because it does not take a whole of push to get there. Anybody can regardless of the fitness level, though, and you do not have to go 26 miles all out, either. There is a always a risk that you may do something bad for your health when you exert any kind of effort, even if you are fit and go for a 3 mile jog.

Such is the nature of life. We deal with uncertainties. I believe this is one way God teaches us something about faith. If we insist on being 100% sure of what lies ahead before we proceed we will not take one single step. The challenge we've been given is to develop the ability to know through faith what is true and act on it before we receive a material or scientific proof.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:37:45 pm »

This is partly a smart alec comment, but I left about half of me on the course of the first marathon I ran!  I barely trained for it at all and it was TOUGH!  I swore I would never do it again.  In fact, I quit running for several months becasue I was convinced running was not good for me.  I had nothing but trouble while I was "training" for that marathon.  Every part of my body was falling apart and everything hurt.  I could not sleep becasue when I moved in my sleep the pains in body would wake me up.  IT WAS NOT GOOD FOR ME!!

But a year later I ran another marathon that I had moderately trained for over 6 months and seriously trained for for about a month and a half.  My body rarely hurt while training, i was rarely sore even when I ran half marathons leading up to it.  Granted, I was tired, but that was from getting up early to fit the runs in, not from the actual running.  I was smarter about the way I raced and I LOVED it.  I knew how I had trained and I did not push past what my training had prepared me for.  I felt great within 2 days and was back to running.

Now, do I love running?  Na.  I probably never will.  But I always love it when I am done and I love what I am able to accomplish.  And I love the running community.
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 11:47:37 pm »

of course anything running or exercise related is going to be "bad for you" if you don't train properly and take common sense measures to prevent injury...but I think that the health benefits of running in general and marathons specifically far outweigh the possible outside chance of experiencing a serious lifestyle-threatening injury.  I would rather take a small risk of getting a stress fracture or tearing a muscle or tendon (all of which are completely recoverable in most cases) than die of heart disease. That's just me though.  Plus, running is mentally and emotionally healthy too...and that has a positive effect on your physical health.  I think the people I know on this blog are pretty much some of the healthiest, most physically vibrant people I know if that says anything.  Just my rambling 2 cents from my experience.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:40:08 am »

I am really starting to wonder if I "left a little of myself" on SGM this year.  I just am not bouncing back in the least bit even after a month.   Cry
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:05 pm »

And apples are bad for you ...
wine is bad for you ...
milk is bad for you ...

...or is it?

EVERYTHING is bad for you, in excess, of course.
Training correctly, eating correctly, running properly - then there is no problem.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: