Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 06:25:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Running Article  (Read 2188 times)
Bonnie
Posting Member

« on: August 12, 2008, 12:20:03 pm »

http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2008/august/running.html

A little science to back up "Sasha Science" perhaps?

I have the actual article if any of you would like it message me and I will send it to you.

Bonnie
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 12:37:57 pm »

Interesting article Bonnie. Thanks for posting. As runners I think most of us aren't surprised at the conclusions of the study. But it's always good to have some scientific backing to lean on when we deal with the non-runners who keep telling us stuff like "running is bad over the long haul", "you'll trash your knees", "you'll be a cripple when your older", blah blah, blah.....
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 01:31:20 pm »

Those kinds of comments never made any sense to me. They always sounded like a lame excuse to get out of trying to make an effort.

When I think of the body, exercise, and aging, I always think of farmers. Some of these older farmers in their 70s and 80s are in great health for their age, are very active and strong. Why? Because they've used their body everyday for what it was meant for, and they know that work has to be done!

The majority of patients we see everyday who have had knee surgery or other knee problems tend to have led inactive lifestyles and are overweight. Aside from those who have been injured on the job or by accident, it is a rarity to actually see post-surgical athletes in our clinics with causes directly related to active lifestyle. This is one of the reasons why rehab is so funny to me--We are teaching people to heal their bodies by learning how to live an active lifestyle, which is what they could have been doing in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:36:34 pm by adam » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: