Fast Running Blog
September 30, 2024, 09:36:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gu energy gel  (Read 5458 times)
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« on: July 24, 2008, 10:44:21 pm »

Warning to potential new users like me.  I've tried this stuff exactly 3 times and its given me the.....ahem......"runs" every time.  This stuff should come with an FDA warning.  Its absolutely toxic! Just sayin.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:46:05 am »

I use it for any race over 10k. Took 5 of them (1 before the start and 4 during) my marathon. Never had a problem ever. Orange burst, baby! But yep, like all these products, test them out on a training run to see how your body responds.
Paul (RivertonPaul)
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:00:13 pm »

Vanilla does not give me any problems.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 03:45:46 pm »

Chocolate actually goes down pretty good because it just tastes like chocolate fudge rather than who knows what in the other flavors. Keep in mind you need to practice with all types of flavors and brands to see what works for you. I also really like the sports beans by Jelly belly.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 03:59:54 pm »

Chocolate actually goes down pretty good because it just tastes like chocolate fudge rather than who knows what in the other flavors. Keep in mind you need to practice with all types of flavors and brands to see what works for you. I also really like the sports beans by Jelly belly.

Jelly Bellys??  Seriously?  I'm getting me some today.  Thanks.
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:04:57 pm »

Vanilla does not give me any problems.

I think the strawberry has ruined me.  It's kinda like when I popped a batch of bad sunflower seeds into my mouth a while back while I was driving and hurled my brains out.  My head was hanging out the window like Ace Ventura and spewing at 45 mph til I could pull over.  Not pretty.  I swore an oath that day to not touch another sunflower seed for as long as I live!     
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 05:29:42 pm »

Do these really help?
Shauna
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:12:16 pm »

Kelli, the energy gels absolutely help in a long run or long race.  I typically use them in any run over 90 minutes and start taking them about 5 miles into the run.  When you're running that long, your body uses up carbs for energy and needs replacement if you want to keep going.  Try them out in your long runs, though, so you know how your stomach will react.   You don't want to be throwing up or something in a race.  I like Gu, but it obviously doesn't work for everyone.  I also take sports drinks on my long runs.

I like vanilla, chocolate, and espresso Gu.  And, in wintertime, chocolate mint-heaven! My opinion is that fruit should not be in a gel form.  :-)  so I avoid fruit-flavored gels-they are NASTY!
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 04:08:19 pm »

Kelli, the energy gels absolutely help in a long run or long race.  I typically use them in any run over 90 minutes and start taking them about 5 miles into the run.  When you're running that long, your body uses up carbs for energy and needs replacement if you want to keep going.  Try them out in your long runs, though, so you know how your stomach will react.   You don't want to be throwing up or something in a race.  I like Gu, but it obviously doesn't work for everyone.  I also take sports drinks on my long runs.

I like vanilla, chocolate, and espresso Gu.  And, in wintertime, chocolate mint-heaven! My opinion is that fruit should not be in a gel form.  :-)  so I avoid fruit-flavored gels-they are NASTY!

I did take one in the TOU marathon last year, but I did not really think I noticed a difference.  It did not make me sick or anything.  However, I conked out pretty bad the last 6 miles, so maybe I should have had more!  My husband swears by the shot blocks!
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:15:22 pm »

The worst marathon I've run in the last 11 years was Boise 1999. 2:49:59. That was the only time I tried Gu. I swore off Gu, and had not run slower than 2:42:04 since in around 40 marathons.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 03:12:12 pm »

Sasha, do you normally eat anything during your marathons?  Just wondering...food didn't seem to help me, so I've been only drinking gatorade during my 20-mile runs (1 stop).  I've felt absolutely fine.  I'd probably eat something if most of you are convinced something would help. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 04:05:33 pm »

I've tried it several different ways. I had good results eating my normal breakfast (soymilk, oats, and bananas) except I mixed it all in a blender (2:27:46 in TOU 2003), as well as eating 4 bananas (St. George 2005, 2:27:21). However, I've also had good results just drinking whatever they had at aid stations. I do not think there is one set formula, and frankly, I think when you are going to have a good race, you may lose a minute or two if you do not refuel at all if that. When you are going to have a bad one, refuel all you want, and you'll still have a bad one.

My current approach - pick up a cup of sports drink at an aid station and try a sip. If it tastes good and I am hungry for it, drink it until it does not taste good any more. If it does not taste good, stop, no need to bloat the system.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: