Fast Running Blog
July 04, 2024, 03:25:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit by a rattlesnake  (Read 4295 times)
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« on: June 26, 2008, 10:27:49 am »

I almost stepped on a rattlesnake last week on a trail run.  It made me scream like a girl...What is the right thing to do if you did get bit by a snake.  I'm told things have changed from when I learned about it in Boy Scouts many moons ago.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 10:41:44 am »

Well, I probably can't give you ultra-amazing advice, but I know for sure that the venom travels through your blood. If you were bit while on a run, it's important that you get your heart rate down so that the venom doesn't travel as fast. That's the only advice I can give on it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 11:48:04 am »

Bill, I have had the exact same experience and the exact same questions.  I did a lot of internet reading and, best I could figure out, Steve is right.  The first thing you want to do is sit down (preferably not next to the snake), relax, and lower your heart rate.  I saw various opinions on if you should tie a wrap to slow bloodflow- if the bite is on an arm or leg, I would probably tie something above (closer to the heart) the bite to slow bloodflow.  Tight, but not tournaqet-tight.  If you are with someone, send them for help and just sit.  If not, slowly walk out on your own.  And then go to the hospital ASAP.  I don't know what else you can do.  Don't try to cut or suck it out.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 11:52:20 am »

I guess if you were really worried about snakes, you could carry around one of those new machines they have that sucks the venom out. That would be loads of fun. :-)
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 06:58:17 am »

Just lean over and suck the venon out!!!  The above posts are correct, bring the heart rate down and try to slow the spread of the venom.  Make sure you ask Demetrio for his joke about snake bites and venom sucking!!!
Scott Zincone
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:52:44 pm »

Remember the scene from City Slickers?

Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

I almost stepped on one last year.

Apparantly manyo f us have come close, but does anyone know of it actually happening to someone they know?
Bill Cobler
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:19:08 am »

I don't know of anyone but made they didn't live to tell...I don't run much on the Provo river trail but did last night and saw a bigger garter snake cross next to us.  Then the girls I was running with thought the next few branches on the trail were more snakes.  Snakes seem small and defenseless but they can sure give you the creeps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: