Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 04:19:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: diet coke  (Read 9776 times)
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 01:42:28 pm »

Here's my take on diet coke (and any other colas, for that matter):

1.  The acidity mentioned is in the form of phosphoric acid (look it up on the can!), not to mention carbonic acid (carbonation) and even citric acid in other soft drinks.  In our high school biology class, we once put a piece of raw meat in a beaker full of coke, and a couple days later it was completely dissolved (true story!).  Granted, our stomach lining is replentished *much* faster than that, but do you really want to be drinking something that dissolves flesh?
2.  The caffeine in colas can be just as addictive as other substances.  Don't think so?  Ask someone who drinks several cans daily to quit cold turkey and see what happens to them.  I bet they will end up with headaches, maybe other symptoms and be in a rotten mood for several days while their body flushes out all the toxins that have accumulated.

I won't say I have never drank coke or other caffeinated beverages, because I have.  But I don't drink them any more, and I think that my performance, as well as my health, has improved.  I am now at my lowest weight since my wife and I married 11 years ago, and am continuing to lose weight.  I am now running more than I ever have in my life, and my performances are continuing to improve.  I am looking to not only get a BQ this year at St. George, but dip below the 3 hour mark.  I also drink pop very sparingly, and most often either drink water or regular gatorade.  In fact, the other day I was drinking a soda made with pure cane sugar (Jones pure cane soda) and hadn't noticed that it had caffeine in it - I actually felt nauseated afterwards, and that was from only drinking about 1/3 of a bottle.  Anyways, enough said.  Everyone has their own opinion, I am not going to judge anyone else for what they do or do not drink, but am happy to provide my opinion when asked.
Andrea Birch
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 11:52:39 pm »

Like w/ most good and bad things - moderation is the key!!! 
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 09:59:37 pm »

From what I have heard, the carbonation in soda limits some of your body's processes. In particular oxygen absorption by your muscles. This definitely isn't bad if your muscles are not in need of much oxygen, but if drank before a workout, it could probably limit your performance.
Ken Carlson
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2008, 10:35:28 am »

Ok my take on Diet coke or any other pop is this: If I'm in a race, particularly a 5 or 10k, and I am racing for the win, I have a mental advantage if I know that I have done EVERYTHING I could to be prepared to outkick or out last my competition. If I know that I have not eaten properly, or have drunk something that could hinder my ability, it takes away from my mental toughness and I don't feel like I deserve to ask more of my body during the race. If I want to give an all out effort in a race, I feel that I have to give an all out effort in preparing for the race. (no diet coke) Take it for what it's worth. I believe that our minds have a lot to do with how well our bodies perform.
Doug Turner
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2008, 07:19:56 pm »

I gave up Diet Coke many years ago (along with a bunch of other things).  I still crave it and I think it is delicious, however, if I were training world class animals I would feed them nothing but the best foods I could find.  Given the fact that I have to live with my body for the rest of my life I figure I deserve the best foods too.  Diet Coke is bad for you in every way...it isn't even hydrating.  Go for a glass of water! 
Neil Price
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 05:15:53 pm »

Many will clain that caffeine is a performance enhancing drug. Others disagree.

The research I've seen suggests that caffeine has little or no effect in short duration type athletic events (e.g. sprinting, jumping, etc.) but can indeed increase athletic performance in endurance type events (e.g. long distance running).  Just my two cents.

Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 05:44:48 pm »

Caffeine is actually on the list of USATF banned performance enhancers in the stimulants category. According to

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html

8 cups of coffee or less if your body is slow at getting rid of caffeine could get you busted.

My take on that - there is a reason for the rule. Banned substances follow a common theme. They enhance your performance in a race or two at the expense of your long-term health.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: