Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 10:08:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Helmets for running?  (Read 5522 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« on: April 01, 2008, 07:34:11 am »

USATF Proposes Helmet Rule- take a look at the attached link and weigh in with your opinions.  Pretty bold change, in my opinion.  This was posted in Runner's World.

http://dailyviews.runnersworld.com/2008/04/usatf-proposes.html  (you have to scroll down just a bit to find the article).
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 07:42:18 am »

No! NOOOO!!!!

*April Fools*
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:01:08 am »

No way. The helmet would mess up my headphones.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:20:44 am »

Headphones, I'm worried about my hair!  I spend hours perfecting it before a race. I am  not going to cover it up with a helmet.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:06:43 am »

I think they should force helmets, but only if the also allowed a bylaw allowing completely random tackling, pushing, and tripping. turing running into a roller derby style sport might up the tv ratings...

it also reminds me of that malcom in the middle where the dad got into speed walking...

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:08:23 am »

I'm all for the whole pushing/tripping/tackling bit.  Adds a whole new level of strategy to the race.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 03:46:26 pm »

I'm all for the whole pushing/tripping/tackling bit.  Adds a whole new level of strategy to the race.

Hey I like this idea too! This would actually give me a good reason for sticking with the upper-body weight training regiment.

Someone needs to start a circuit of XTreme races that allows this kind of thing.
KellyP
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 08:27:52 am »

Cool! Then everyone could look tough as they strap on their helmets right before the starting gun. And of course, there would be more space for sponsorship logos.

Can't forget the wonder helmet cams that networks would attach.

There are real opportunities with this idea.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 09:33:28 am »

Helmet cams- beauty!
Lori Metcalf
Lurker

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 11:51:09 am »

When I seen this subject I just had to post a comment. My husband has told me numerous times he was going to buy me a helmet to have when I run.  Embarrassed Why you ask? Well when I run in the trails I have a tendancey to fall... alot. Heck I have even fallen when I'm just out on the road. But the last time I fell in the trails was the topper for why I need a helmet. When I tripped over a rock or stump, as I was falling, I head butted a tree. Yes there it is... it hurt, and I seen stars for a while, tore up my knee real bad along with my head. My husband asked "Where are your hands as you are falling?" I have no idea, I think I need some falling classes  Smiley Any way I did get up and finish my run, bloody knee, headache and all.

Lori
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 12:28:05 pm »

Lori,
Tell him your hands were right where they should be, out of the way. The bones in your head and knee will better protect you than those in your hands, wrists and arms. You can practice tucking and rolling on the grass. Be sure to get your head AND shoulder tucked otherwise you might end up with a separated shoulder or worse...

Your description sounds like you are already halfway there. Now just tuck your head in tight and roll over your shoulder. Way to finish the run all banged up. I think someone on this board would assign you commando points (Brent of BS Rools). Good luck.

Lulu
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 02:43:42 pm »

We could tell everyone that we do Triathlons.   This to me seems a little bit to protective, and I don't think will get a lot of support.
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 11:22:44 pm »

Full contact marathoning would give heavier runners like me a chance in our age groups. It might also make elites run faster. (Slowing down would make you vulnerable.) If any of you would like to try it, I'd be happy to meet (maybe behind the school at 3:00). My offer is only good if you weigh less than 150 lbs, don't have long finger nails, sharp teeth and/or know martial arts. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: