Fast Running Blog
July 07, 2024, 10:13:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Ryan Hall in London  (Read 7730 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: April 14, 2008, 09:02:49 am »

So what do we all think about Hall's performance in London yesterday? Pretty sweet time, but even better competition. Is he an Olympic medal contender?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:11:37 am by Sasha Pachev » Logged
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 10:37:49 am »

After showing that he can run with the big dogs, you've got to count him in.  That whole race was just amazing to read about.  I am sure it was even more amazing to watch - I wish the US would support this sport more!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:52:59 am »

I thought it was funny how he asked the pacers to go faster, and then they dropped him.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 10:57:51 am »

Yeah, definitely. He admits in interviews afterward that he felt rather stupid about that and considers it a "rookie mistake". But it didn't help that the pacers surged from 4:55 to 4:40.

http://www.letsrun.com/2008/ryanhall0413.php
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:58:53 am »

Martin Lel said Hall indicated the should increase the pace, then he seemed to fall back.  But what an amazing story to have 6 men go sub 2:07.  These guys are serious fast!
Glen
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 04:13:51 pm »

Completely amazing performance!  I got goosebumps reading the race report.  After running that well in just his 3rd marathon, no question he has to be considered a contender in Beijing.
Superfly

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 07:49:16 pm »

He's got to be a contender. He runs with a chip on his shoulder and pure guts. This race will fuel his fire for the games this summer.
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 09:56:37 am »

We should definitely recruit Ryan Hall for the FRB Racing Team.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 09:58:08 am by Chad » Logged
adam

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 10:00:09 am »

There is usually someone who places high or wins in the olympic marathon who is a relatively unknown runner on the professional circuit. Something usually happens to the big names and you'll get a winner who runs 2:10-2:12.

I would like Ryan Hall to be a contender, even a winner, but unless they run the olympic marathon at a faster pace (2:06-2:08), I wouldn't be suprised if someone like Dathan or Brian Sell places higher.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 10:19:05 am »

Maybe we should recruit all 3 for the racing team and WBR!
Craig Green
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:12:22 pm »

John- Brian Sell's mustache would team up nicely with your Hulk Hogan avatar.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 01:16:37 pm »

Hulk Hogan?  No, no, that's me Wink

Dave Nelson already has a Brian Sell-type mustache, so that may result in some inter-blog jealousy...
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 01:27:14 pm »

I told Ted when Hall ran 59:43  half that he was really a 2:03 marathoner. This was confirmed with his second half in the Trials. So when I saw 2:06:17 I first wondered why so slow. Then I read the race report. Two problems - rain and wind after 21 miles, and surging. That run was probably worth around 2:04:30 with his own cohort of pacers in Berlin in ideal conditions. 2:03:30 for Lel. Too bad they do not invite Lel (or he does not come) to do a world record with pacers.

In Bejing it will all be about who does not have asthma, and who is a good heat runner. Would not be surprised to see Ryan Hall win or at least medal, but in those conditions you may just as well toss a coin. I would guess the winner would have at least a 2:08 PR, there will be enough 2:08 that some of them may not have asthma, be good in the heat, and feel good that day. I believe a significantly better runner (2 minute difference in the marathon in a true all out effort the day of the race) will win regardless of whether the race turns tactical or all out unless he does something exceptionally unwise such as wait to kick until it is only a quarter to go, go out too fast, etc.
James Winzenz

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 02:13:15 pm »

Flotrack did an interview with Ryan after the London marathon, and he admitted that one of his weaknesses was the surges - he was more of a rhythm runner.  However, he said he was going to go back to Mammoth and work on that.  He also mentioned how excited he was about all of the things he learned this time around.  I would not be surprised at all for him to do even better in Beijing.  Remember, he still a marathon "rookie".  This was his 3rd marathon ever.  To me, the progress he has made in just three marathons is absolutely stupendous.  I also read a quote from Stefano Baldini calling Hall the "future of marathoning" or something to that effect.  I think the thing I like most about Ryan is that he comes across as completely humble, praises God for the talent he has been given, and is always eager to learn, yet confident in his abilities. 
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:44 pm »

Check out this:

http://www.letsrun.com/2008/weekthatwas0416.php

I have written a message to LA Times, and am encouraging everybody to do the same. I also like this quote:

"Big in Big Bear, California, he has no bugbear about the low profile he has elsewhere in the United States. Distance running is on the fringes in a country where the quick-fix rules, but Hall is the real deal."
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: