Fast Running Blog
July 02, 2024, 01:17:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sweating?  (Read 3328 times)
ktjo
Lurker

« on: February 21, 2008, 10:04:52 pm »

My sister has been working out and she called me today and asked me if I knew why she would smell bleach after her workouts.(She thinks her sweat smells like bleach ) She said it has happened like 3 times and she dose not use bleach at all. She said it lasts for about 5 minutes and then it goes away. It got me thinking? Anyone have any idea why that would happen.   
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 10:35:18 pm »

Not sure about the bleach smell per se, but I can tell you this: when I first started running again, my sweat used to stink to high heaven (just ask Lybi!).  As I have gotten in better shape, my sweat does not stink nearly as much any more.  This is an indication to me that when I first started working out, my body was flushing some of the poisons out via sweating.
Cal
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:01:33 am »

I've found that my sweat doesn't stink by itself, but in combination with certain tech fabrics + laundry detergents there is a rapid, powerful, and wicked odor occurs at the first drops of sweat.  A couple of my shirts are worse than the others and are almost unbearable to use.  You might try changing detergents. 

I've seen ads in Runner's World for "Penguin Sport-Wash" specifically for this problem, but I've never tried it.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 03:20:20 pm »

I can vouch for the Win detergent.  Some of my tech clothing got downright ripe to the point where my better half was planning on throwing them out and having me get new ones.  We saw the Win detergent in a Running store one day and decided to give it a go.  It was like magic.....shirts that had been washed in Tide several times but still stunk were smell free.
The downside is that the bottles are small and not especially cheap.  On the upside, it doesn't take much, and you don't need to use it every time.  My wife has even started washing her horse's blankets in it to get the barn smells out.
The cheapest I've found the stuff is online at Amazon.com using their Subscribe & Save deal getting it in bulk (4 bottles/order) and around $18.00.
Lulu
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:02:28 pm »

Are you sure she is not mistaking the smell? She might be saying it smells like bleach, but does it really smell like acetone? or Nail polish remover? Or ammonia? Then it's not her clothes. It is her breath, sweat or pee. Ketosis. Sounds right if it goes away after 5 minutes. Her body is burning fat for fuel. This is not exactly good. Solution: Eat more carbs.

Lulu
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: