Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 08:21:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Intervals - how much recovery?  (Read 3599 times)
Joe
Lurker

« on: June 04, 2011, 04:01:02 pm »

I am trying to introduce myself to speedwork this summer and just did my first interval session this week.  Here's my question - what is the appropriate amount of rest (I'd like to do active recovery) for each distance.  I did 400s this week with 400 jog between each one which is probably too much rest, I'm guessing, but it's normally in the mid-70s in the morning here in TX so that is my excuse.  Anyway, I'd like to try other distances (200, 800, mile) and I'm using my latest marathon result on mcmillan calculator to get the paces I need to run...just wondering what amout of recovery is appropriate.  Thanks!
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:18 pm »

I am basing this answer on the training described by Lydiard, Jack Daniels and Greg McMillan (since those are the ones I know), they are all very similar.

It depends on what system you are trying to work (if you read Greg's "Running University" from the website you will see different types of workouts that are designed to hit on speed and stamina).  There are basically two parts to speed work, stamina and speed.  For stamina (1000-1600s) you run somewhere between 10K-1/2 marathon pace with less recovery (200-400 meters) than speed work, which is generally faster than 5K pace.  A simple "rule of thumb" for true speed workouts (200 to maybe 1200 meters generally - faster folks can run speed repeats of 1600 meter at faster than 5K pace but it is tough) is recover at 1/2 the distance of your fast part.

For the heat, it is better to slow down (10-15 secs/mile on average) or do fewer repeats rather than extend the recovery.  The exception to this rule would be shorter (and faster) repeats -- like 100-200 meters, for those you can easily extend the recovery and still get the proper stimulus.

For the hot summers, I usually do my speed work in the form of fartleks, where you run by effort and not time. You can get the same benefit - maybe more since you also work on running by feel -- which is truly the optimal training pace ;-).

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 06:11:24 am »

Joe- to add to what Bonnie said, a lot depends on your goals.  If you are trying to get faster pure sprinting speed, then do shorter intervals longer recoveries (so you can do each interval at max speed).  If you are trying to build endurance, then do long intervals with shorter recovery (partial recovery only).

To give you an example, I do repeats to help with long endurance (half marathon+).  The 2 intervals I'll do are 4-6 x 1600 meter at 10 sec/mile faster than marathon race pace with ~2 min recovery, or 6-8 x 1000 meter at 5 sec/mile slower than half marathon pace with ~90 sec recovery.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 09:04:54 am »

Bonnie and Jon - thanks for the awesome answers, looks like it's a little more complicated than I thought.  Up until now, every time I go "fast" it's been to do a 3-6 mile tempo run at 1-hour pace, so I guess I've sorta been doing the "stamina" stuff already.  My intent was to change it up this summer and spend more time around 5k pace, so it looks like 400s and 800s with 1/2 distance rest (and probably backing off the pace a few seconds on the repeats when it's hot).  On an otherwise easy run, I'll also work in some 100-200m bursts with plenty of rest.

I'll read up on the "running university" too, thanks!
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 08:38:58 am »

Joe - I think the advice above is excellent and is spot-on.

I take a pretty basic approach to intervals on the track. When running 200s or 400s, I take a 200m jog recovery. When running something in the range of 800s to 1600s, I take a 400m jog recovery. My philosophy is that its better to keep moving.

That being said, if your primary goal is to be super sharp for races 5K and under, it makes sense to take longer recoveries. For me, 99% of running a good 5K comes from strength, so I like to keep the workouts continuous and never stop running.
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 11:18:21 am »

Haven't posted in quite a long time here, so I figured this would as good a place as any to stick my nose back into things.

Just a couple things to add -- 'intervals' can be used for just about any purpose. They can be done very early in training (recommended in Brain Training for Runners) where you simply throw a 100-800m (or use time 1-2 minutes) 'pick-up' into the middle of your run (not really a true interval in the classic sense). They can be used as stepping stones to increase your capacity to do longer and faster 'cruise-intervals' or 'tempo runs' -- take your desired CI or TR distance and time, then do intervals that perhaps add up to a bit more than the desired distance at a slightly faster rate than your desired pace, use an active, but incomplete recovery (where you're not fully rested). They can be used, as pointed out earlier to increase stamina and strength. If you're following a training program, then early in the program you want to do incomplete recoveries (again, usually more stamina based). As you approach the race date you'll want to do intervals that are harder with complete recovery between each one (speed/strength) based.

In my opinion, the best thing to do to figure the details of your interval session is to pick up a book like Brain Training for Runners, or Advanced Marathoning, even Jack Daniel's Running Formula. Read through it to determine the intended purpose of your interval session and follow the recommended specifications for your workout. Great advice is almost always given on these boards, but if you have a specific question, feel free to look up my email and drop me a line, just be sure to have the subject of the email relevant or it may get deleted without opening, heh.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 06:05:27 pm »

Jake - good info, thanks.  Glad to hear that you like the continuous running, seems like the smart way to go.

Jeff - appreciate the insight, what you're saying makes sense to me.  I've kinda had my eye on "Advanced Marathoning" anyway, so probably time to go ahead and buy it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: