Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 03:30:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 2735 times)
Paul
Lurker

« on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:35 am »

Good Morning all.  I am new to this site, and fairly new to running as well.  Before I ask my question, let me give you a little history about myself.

I am 34 years old, and have never been a "runner".  As a matter of fact, until 2007 I had never run more than 2 miles in a row.  Although I wasn't a runner, I was athletic.  I was a swimmer, football and basketball player for most of my life.  After high school I joined the Air Force, and continued to be active in those sports.  After I got married, I began to decrease the frequency of my activities and still never ran.  Throughout my AF career I had always run just enough to pass my annual fitness test.

In Oct 2006, I nearly failed my fitness test, and this is when I decided to change my lifestyle.  I still did not enjoy running, so I chose to give triathlons a try.  In March 2007, I ran my first 5k (25:08) and felt really good about that, with only a couple months of running.  Then I completed four sprint triathons in 2007.  Towards the end of 2007, I was notified that I was being reassigned to Tennessee as an instructor.  With the new job and long hours, I was unable to train for tri's.  I maintained a small amount of running (12-15 mi/wk) until the beginning of 2009.  In 2009, I started lifting weights and was rarely running.  I did that until Sept. 09.  In Sept I decided I wanted to see if I could do a couple tri's in 2010 so I started swimming, biking, and running again. Ultimately, I determined I still don't have enough time to train for tri's.  However, I found a half marathon in Knoxville and decided to run it on March 28th 2010.  So from the end of January through March, I began running 4 days a week (25-35 mpw) with a weekly long run that peaked at a 16 mile run about 4 weeks prior to my race.

I didnt feel good about my race results, and really felt like I just had a bad day.  I tuned in a 1:56:xx time, but felt I should have been closer to 1:45:xx.  I took the entire week off after the race (no training at all) and decided I want to be a "runner".

I am now trunning 6 days/wk, with a weekly long run of 10 mi, and am working on achieving the 10 miles/day goal.  I did my annual fitness test last week and ran 1.5 mi in 9:32.  I have no problems running most of my runs in the 8:30-8:45/mi pace, and typically keep my long run around 9:00-9:30/mi.  I can hold a sub 8:00 mi for 6-7 miles.  On Mondayof this week, I ran 6 mi at 7:55/mi pace.

With all of this information, my question is, what is a realistic time goal for a half marathon in November 2010, and my first marathon in April 2011 assuming I can maintain injury free & consistent training between now and then?

Oh, and I truely do enjoy running now.

Since I am new to this site, I have been logging workouts here and in my triathlon log.  If you want to take a look, here is the link to my other log.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/index-weekly.asp?memberid=48214&year=&month=&day=

Thanks for your help, and I am still looking for a mentor to help me achieve my goals. 
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 10:49:00 am »

Welcome to the site.

Paul your question about what to expect in Half marathon in November and marathon in 2001.

First your half marathon in November.  You said you had a bad day in your half.  For your length of training I think you did pretty well.  You averaged an 8:52 average.  Your previous 5K PR you only averaged a 8:06.  You only had a few months of training in so you did well considering your training.  Your 1.5 mile time tells me you have some good speed, a 6:20.  The trick will be to getting the endurance to go with it.  With consistant training I could see a sub 1:40 or even faster. 

As for the Marathon.  The first Goal should be finishing, Second Finishing, Third Finishing.  On your first marathon go into with no expectations, start out easy and enjoy it.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:02:14 pm »

Paul- you could definitely do sub 1:40 for a half, especially if you maintain your mileage.  I would suggest running a few 10k's before then to give you a better idea.  And you are wise to plan on your first marathon being a year out, rather than rushing into it.  It's still a long ways out to predict your marathon time, so don't worry about that till you get closer.  But keep up the mileage, and you will be surprised how fast you will become.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 10:16:43 am »

I agree with Jon.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:14:05 pm »

Hey Paul, I can probably chime in here since there are a lot of similarities.  I'm a total non-runner that just started as well after about 12 years of laziness and inactivity.  In January this year I did a 10:20 in my AF PFT (so I was a lot slower than you).  Since then I've slowly gone from ~15 mpw (all treadmill) to about 40/week.  Now, three months later, I just did my first HM in 1:40.  So with all other variables constant you should be able to smash a 1:40 pretty soon; just keep doing the consistent mileage thing.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: