Fast Running Blog
June 29, 2024, 09:56:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: sub-3 marathon for 73-year old  (Read 4776 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: February 17, 2010, 11:06:40 am »

Great read

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=18810&PageNum=1
Chris de Vos
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 11:08:31 am »

Definitely. Guy seems awesome.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 03:51:09 pm »

More

http://runningmagazine.ca/2009/10/sections/feature/comeback-kid-the-return-of-age-group-superhero-ed-whitlock/
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 09:21:24 am »

How about this one for an older guy....

A year after his 60+ world record of 2:36:30 at the 2009 Beppu-Oita Mainichi Marathon, Yoshihisa Hosaka did it again with a 2:38:12 world record for the 61 year old bracket at this year's Beppu-Oita on Feb. 7. Hosaka's time breaks the existing world record, set by Wil van der Lee of the Netherlands at the 1991 Amsterdam Marathon, by a slim 20 second margin. Hosaka now holds the world record for three consecutive age brackets.

59 - 2:34:23, Fukuoka 2008
60 - 2:36:30, Beppu-Oita 2009
61 - 2:38:12, Beppu-Oita 2010

In this year's race Hosaka started conservatively compared to his previous two world record runs, clocking consistent mid-37 minute 10 km splits through 30 km and hitting halfway in 1:18:26. By comparison, at this past December's 2009 Fukuoka International Marathon, a few weeks before his 61st birthday, Hosaka went through halfway in 1:15:48. In Beppu-Oita he slowed significantly between 30 and 35 km but managed to rally and claim the record with a 1:19:46 second half.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:46:55 am »

Amazing! Wow! Holy Cow! Really cool to see the old guys rockin it.
Chris M
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 11:12:07 am »

Think his PR is 2:25:28 aged 45!

He has an interesting (albeit unorthodox) training method if you don't know already:
http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=16503
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 11:36:20 am »

Thanks for the link. What a great story, inspiring.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 11:58:04 am »

Thanks for the link.

His method actually somewhat reminds me of how Zatopek trained.  Intervals every day in high volume. Except Zatopek's were shorter (400 vs 1000).

His success confirms three training principles:

a) Consistent daily mileage is a critical factor in the marathon performance, more important than a weekly long run.
b) Volume at marathon pace is another critical factor.
c) There is not much to gain in looking for a magic workout mix once a) and b) are taken care of.

I do agree with him that the master's performances standards would be greatly improved if more people put proper focus on performing at that age. 2:30 at 60 years old would be as common as 2:10 at 30.
Chris de Vos
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 01:12:13 pm »

Its definitely a gradual decline as people get older. Already, most of the people I rowed with collegiately have fallen into the trap of fully sedentary lifestyles, and here at law school, I've found a few devout distance triathletes to run and swim with, but sedentary is even worse among this older crowd.

As for myself, while I'm certainly not as strong as I once was (I've lost ~20 lbs., much of it muscle, since the end of rowing), I keep on improving myself cardiovascularly, and don't understand why people let themselves completely slip. Perhaps I'm still too young and have too few commitments to fully understand.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:04:02 pm »

Chris - I do not think it is so much about age or commitments, but more about discipline. I am older than a lot of people (almost 37) and as far as commitments go I am a sole provider for my family which consists of my wife, who is currently pregnant, and six children ages 11 through 1. Additionally I serve in my church, and maintain this site. With all of that I am still able to get 80-90 miles a week without sacrificing my sleep, and perform at or near my lifetime best. I have several secrets:

* A while ago (when I was 16) I realized that if I wanted to support a big family I needed to learn a valuable skill, and learn it really well. So I learned English, and then learned how to program. This head start, plus a few good choices down the line eventually allowed me to position myself to where I could make a decent living without a crazy schedule.

* I never watch TV or play video games. I believe in productive recreation - something that is not just pleasurable but also expands the mind or trains the body.

* Last time I had any kind of junk food was 1994.

* I do not believe in ending a day without a run unless it is Sunday.

* I do believe in bringing practice to the level of the best of your knowledge, and do not tolerate gaps.

I believe my success could be fairly easily duplicated and exceeded, and in fact, that is one of the main reasons for this site. I enjoy watching people take at least some of the above principles, and convert them into performances that go beyond their prior dreams.
Chris de Vos
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 04:15:45 pm »

Sasha,

I've definitely started to strive to achieve those steps. And the blog is a great tool; I store all of my runs in Sporttracks with my Garmin watch, but posting it online forces me to examine how exactly the run actually went.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: