Fast Running Blog
July 02, 2024, 12:59:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First 10k a trail race  (Read 2375 times)
Joe
Lurker

« on: January 05, 2010, 08:18:00 pm »

A friend is trying to get me to do a 10k trail race in 3 weeks (it would be my longest distance race thus far).  Any tips from trail runners?  I understand that the time probably won't be pretty but I'm thinking I'll do it anyway though I've never run on a trail.  It's supposed to be a somewhat eaiser route as far as trails go.  Appreciate any advice.

Joe
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:16 pm »

Just have fun!  Trails are great.  Don't worry if you go slow on the uphills- don't waste your energy trying to blast up them.  Maintain effort and look forward to the downhill.
Craig Lloyd
Lurker

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 10:29:56 am »

Trail racing has a totally different feel than road races. It is a far more casual and friendly environment (not to say road racers aren't friendly because they are) and one that most people take a lot less serious. Jon nailed it; go out and have fun, don't push the hills, and just enjoy being in nature. You'll absolutely LOVE it.
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 07:41:18 pm »

It was actually pretty fun, and you're right about he casual/friendly atmosphere.  The uphills were killer but it was raining and slippery, and the terrain was rocky so the downhills ended up being even slower.  Definitely had fun when I stopped worrying about my time, although I twisted both ankles at various points.  I found out I'm too much of a clutz to go any faster than a slow jog.  If I had it to do over again I'd go even slower and do what you said (enjoy nature).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: