Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 08:58:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Runners GPS  (Read 3628 times)
MarkP_
Lurker

« on: November 03, 2009, 03:22:47 pm »

Any recommendations on a runner's GPS?  I have used the Garmin 201 and 205 and have had quality issues with both.  The 201's screen would randomly go out (2 years of use) and the 205's battery stopped working and would turn off while running (1.5 years of use).  Any other brands you would recommend outside of Garmin or maybe the 405 model?

Thanks for the input.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 04:40:44 pm »

Both my 305 and 405(s) have had problems, so I'd just accept issues with Garmin device longevity as a fact of life.  I've worked around that by purchasing mine at REI, which has a 100% satisfaction guarantee.  As a matter of fact, the saleswoman at the Seattle store was the one that sold me on buying from them for just that reason.....even if it dies 2 years in, just return it for a new one.  I'm on my 3rd 405 from them.....
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 05:35:28 pm »

Have had the 205 for two years. no problems with it
MarkP_
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 06:48:44 pm »

So, I opened up my 205 and found that one of the tiny pins that connects the screen to the electronics had corroded off.  It appears sweat was entering thought the speaker sound hole and made contact with the pin...a very poor design.  It can not be repaired.  I will have to examine the 405 and see if it could have a similar issue.  I like the idea of buying it from REI.  Is it a "lifetime" guarantee?
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 09:23:23 am »

REI has a "100% Satisfaction Guarantee" that says "If you're ever dissatisfied with an item, you may return or exchange your REI.com or REI-OUTLET.com purchases at any REI store or through mail order".
The whole reason I joined REI and bought there was because the saleswoman literally told me I could've taken my 305 (which I received as a gift) back to them after the 2+ years of usage when it broke if I would've bought it there.  The 2 times I've returned a 405 for an exchange they've taken the old (broken) ones back without question.  If it hadn't been for the initial salespitch where I was explicitly told that even if 5 years after buying it, I could exchange it if it was broken, I might have felt guilty of taking advantage. 
The trade-off is that you'll pay full MSRP in all likelihood....no discounts.
Gary Culver
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 03:04:06 pm »

Thanks for the REI Info.

I recently purchased a Garmin 305 (Paid $199 through AAFES).  It works well and seems very accurate.  Two friends have 405s and often complain about the user interface?? (I don't remember their exact complaint) ... They say they wish they had purchased a 305... 

One "Complaint" ... I'm not smart enough to figure out how to use the interval timer, and still access elapsed time and distance... So, I wear my Ironman on the other wrist.. (dumb, I know)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:07:05 pm by Gary Culver » Logged
Jeff Goold
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 08:55:53 am »

I too have the 305. I have had it for two years now and have had no problems. I have my on the 310XT for my next one.
MarkP_
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 08:51:12 pm »

Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I bought the 310Xt at REI.  It is a nice GPS.  It has a smaller size, but quicker GPS lock-on compared to 201 and 205.  The receiver must be around the face of the unit.  Also, it has the push buttons and is water proof.  A couple of things I do not like:  The manual states it has a data field that can give sunrise and sunset time based on location, but this does not exist in the unit.  Also, the virtual training partner is not nearly as smart as the 205.  It will not calculate your average pace.  You must look this up somewhere else and enter it into the unit before starting your race.  The unit works great with Sportstrack and MyGarmin.com. Great advice everyone!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: