Fast Running Blog
June 16, 2024, 04:52:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: salt lake marathon  (Read 5188 times)
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« on: December 16, 2009, 10:09:55 am »

Does anyone now if Devine racing is still doing SL marathon?  The website has been under construction for a while.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:53:28 am »

I haven't heard anything. But I'd love it if they did sell it (particularly to the Rock and Roll franchise). There's no reason it can't be a good race.
Superfly

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 11:21:15 am »

It would be nice!
I am running it for the first time this year as kind of a training run/ pre race- race. So I hope things work out well and if it was a R-n-R marathon that would be cool too.
Hyrum
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 06:00:37 pm »

I suspect that the Rock N Roll (competitor.com) is buying the SLC for one reason.  I was on the phone with them the other day and was talking to them about some of the things that they have done to get a race huge quickly, and they were tight lipped, and I could not figure out why.  I had told them that we weren't in competition, because they didn't have a marathon in Utah, and they asked me what city my race was in.  I think they wanted to see if I was with the SLC marathon or if I at least had my race in the same city.  If I remember correctly Divine has already sold Vegas to them so it would not be too big of a stretch to believe they are buying SLC when you concider the website under construction, and with my conversation with them where they would not tell me much, but still wanted to know which city my race is in.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 07:52:18 am »

I have not heard any rumors, but it would not surprise me. It is basically competitor.com's business model right now: buy up struggling, near-bankrupt marathons and turn them into successes. Vegas is one example (New Las Vegas Marathon turned into RnR Vegas). Also the old Seafair Marathon turned into RnR Seattle. San Antonio used to be owned by someone else. I'm pretty sure competitor.com bought up Denver too, but it's not a RnR race. The list could go on. Will SLC be added to that list? I hope so.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:49:03 pm »

Devine I heard has had a hard time even paying the cash for the winner's of the race.  If their bought out of the SLC marathon that would be good step in the right direction.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 03:36:21 pm »

I am getting e-mails from them.  Last year they paid prize money immediately after the race. Jeff's check picture made its way to KSL.
Josse

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 04:14:59 pm »

I am getting e-mails from them.  Last year they paid prize money immediately after the race. Jeff's check picture made its way to KSL.
Meaning what? they are still doing this race.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 07:28:37 pm »

i have to jump in and say they didn't pay everyone. there was some award ceremony "confusion" and they sent many of the runners home telling them they would send the check in the mail. 8 months later...still no check.  Sad
James Moore
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »

I have also been getting emails from them, but, given their history, they might just be trying to get money out of people before disappearing forever. I think I'm of the viewpoint that I would rather have a smaller more manageable race. The rock n roll marathon in Seattle felt a little "forced" to me and it was WAY too many people. We already have the problem in SLC.
The starting area just can't handle 20000 people. It sucks because its my "local" marathon, but I think my next Utah marathon is going to be des news instead.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »

Allie - lesson to learn. NEVER leave the SLC marathon award ceremony without a check! :-)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: