Fast Running Blog
May 29, 2024, 01:24:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Marathon GU Question  (Read 8555 times)
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 01:15:56 pm »

I was not big on them and still remember my first, back then it was PowerGel experience. It went horrible and I choked on it. However, once it kicked in I had no problems at all and had a great second wind...

To answer your question most of my marathons I've taken 4 and my last half I took some as well. This marathon I'm taking a page out of Jeff's book and going up to 6.

To get them down I take them over a half mile. I'll open them and only put a little in my mouth at a time. Chewing it to help swallow. I also practice. Whenever I do a training run more than 15 miles I will take one at 5, 10, and 15 miles to get my stomach used to it. But here's the funny part on a 14 mile training run I don't take any food...

I agree in part with Sasha's previous comment. Well trained athletes have increased muscle lipid and glycogen stores. But I don't think that they are enough for a marathon. Something during the race is needed. If the sugar and electrolytes in the sports drink are enough I'm not sure. But the Gus haven't hurt me so I'll keep giving them a go...
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 12:02:16 pm »

Adam - not enough for a 2:35 marathon, but likely enough for a sub-2:10. Some examples of fast marathons with no or inadequate refueling I know of:

* Demetrio Cabanillas ran his DesNews course record of 2:16 taking nothing except water - no wall.
* Mike Kirk ran 2:29 in Ogden with nothing except water - no wall.
* I ran 2:27 in Top Of Utah taking a mix of soymilk and bananas ground in a blender three times - maybe half a cup each time. The same "refueling" strategy worked two weeks later in St. George when I ran 2:24, and in Salt Lake 2004 when I ran 2:30. In all three marathons I had no miles slower than 6:06. However, then it stopped working. Because it did not do a whole lot of refueling, but appeared successful when I was fit enough to not need any.

Unfortunately I do not have a whole lot of data on refueling in sub-2:10 marathons. But my gut feeling is that we are going to find a whole lot more cases when a sub-2:10 marathon was done with no fuel intake. At least I know that if you told me to just floor it for 2 hours and 10 minutes with no fuel after a taper I might fade a little in the last couple of miles, but I would not be jogging.

Of course, part of the problem is that when the opportunity to refuel is there a runner will usually take it even if he does not need it. So it would take some work to prove my hypothesis.

My experiences with refueling during the race. It has only been beneficial when the pace drops to slower than 6:30. It can bring it up from 7:10 to 6:20. But it can never take it to sub-6:00. So in other words it keeps a bad race from becoming really bad.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2009, 01:07:43 pm »

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/haile-gebrselassie-and-sports-drinks-62

Some more info. Haile has run 2:06:35 in London in 2002 with no carb drinks. The article of course is claiming that with carb drinks he would have run faster. But this is debatable. He has run faster in his career - 2:03:59, and probably with carb drinks, but London is probably a minute slower than Berlin, and he was fighting competition rather than being led by pacers. Plus by 2008 he was more familiar with the marathon distance and better trained for it. So if carb drinks helped him at all it was no more than 1:30 by the most pro carb-drink leaning estimates.

Again - in case somebody was not reading carefully - my argument is not that carb refueling is useless, but that it becomes less and less significant to the point of being unnecessary as your marathon gets faster, and I suspect that that point is somewhere between 2:15 and 2:30 depending on the runner.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2009, 01:43:51 pm »

Again - in case somebody was not reading carefully - my argument is not that carb refueling is useless, but that it becomes less and less significant to the point of being unnecessary as your marathon gets faster, and I suspect that that point is somewhere between 2:15 and 2:30 depending on the runner.

Seems fair.  The better trained your body and the less time on the course, the fewer calories/hydration you need.  I can run a 1/2 marathon without any drink if I wanted, but I don't think many 2:45 1/2 marathon runners would want to try a similar feat. 

Of course, I still drink sports drink at every 1/2 marathon aid station.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 03:02:33 pm »

I talked to Demetrio Cabanillas during the bus ride at St. George. He said he ran 30 sub-2:20 marathons, including a 2:13 in New York (not a fast course by any means, so probably worth around 2:10  in Berlin), with no carb intake during the race. Only water.

With a track PR of only 13:55 in the 5000 I consider 2:13 in New York marathon-optimized. So no argument - he really could have done better and he blew up because he took no carbs. No, he could only have done better by increasing his 5 K speed. Endurance-wise it was perfect.

Some more info from him:

I asked him - runner A trains at 6 miles a day 5 days a week, 20 miles on the sixth. Runner B 10 miles a day six days a week. Which one will do better in the marathon assuming equal ability? He said runner A will have psychological advantage, but runner B will be physically stronger.

How many speed workouts a week is optimal? Two is plenty.

Cheryl Keith
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 03:32:15 pm »

Do you think a psychological advantage is an advantage?  Wouldn't the guy with the physical advantage beat the guy with the psychological advantage every time (everything else being fairly equal)?
Jennifer Schmidt
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 02:18:22 pm »

I am nowhere near a sub 3 anything marathoner, but I did want to respond to this.  I do believe that it is obviously very important to be physically stronger, but when running the marathon, the psychological side is a very key part of the race.  You can very easily take yourself out of a race mentally if you are nervous, having bathroom issues, aches and pains or are running even a tad slower than you anticipated.  I was told when I first started training for my first marathon, which I did for charity, that running the marathon is 20% physical and 80% mental.  Now, that may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but there is something to it.  Maybe the psychological part is different when you have a natural ability/ gift to run fast, which I do not have.  Those of you that are elite runners would obviously be able to answer that better than I.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 03:18:40 pm »

To a certain extent the 80% psychological/ 20% physical is true. Especially for a slower runner. I would dare say that for 90% of people who do not break 5:00 it is 80% psychological.  I have gone back to the middle and back of the pack to pace people in races and have noticed a trend. The slower the runner the more his pace varies. Pace variations could be caused by something weird like a fluctuating blood sugar, but more commonly they are caused by a cycle of not being willing to endure the pain, then recovering a bit, becoming more motivated, pushing again, and back to the start of the cycle. Faster runners are often faster because they have learned to overcome such cycles and are able to push the entire race having the confidence that their body has sufficient protection against damage and they do not have the ability to truly run it into the ground.

It would be an interesting experiment to approach a group of people who naturally (without any knowledge of the experiment and the possibility of participation) get to the first half in 2:30 and tell them that they will get $1000 for every mile on pace for 2:00 second half regardless of what happens afterwards, and an additional $100,000 if their entire second half is under 2:00. My prediction is that almost everybody will earn at least $1000 for the first mile, and more than 40% will go home with at least $5000 cash.

However, if you approach the people who reached the first half in 1:15 with an offer of $10,000 for each mile on pace for 1:00 second half, and $1 billion for making it through the entire second half in 1:00, your money will be very safe.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2009, 05:58:42 am »

Interesting comments, Sasha.  I have literally taken that approach.  On last year's marathon, I was able to convince myself that every mile below 7:28 would earn me $1,000 and if I finished below 3:15, I would get a grand prize of $1 million.  Between doing constant math and focussing on a "prize", it seemed to keep my mind motivated and focussed.  Sounds crazy, yet I think it can give you a minute or two.  Having run a 4:12 marathon a 1 1/2 years ago, I think my change in pace had much more to do with less fitness.  I was only really prepared for a half marathon. 
Adam R Wende
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2009, 06:46:14 am »

I know that the coach of Grinnell College (an Olympic trial caliber athlete himself), always focused on applied sports psychology with his team. We never beat them the three years I ran cross country against them. I'm not saying that was the only reason but talking to some of the teammates made it sound like it did help. It involved a lot of mental image work of how you were going to feel on the course etc. Definitely something worth looking into and additional evidence for the mental aspect of our sport.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: