Fast Running Blog
May 23, 2024, 03:52:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Sub 3 hour pace group at STG Marathon  (Read 10034 times)
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« on: August 27, 2009, 10:06:49 am »

Logan Fielding and I (Clyde Behunin) are volunteering to run as pacers in the St. George Marathon. We will be taking anyone who wants to break that 3 hour mark. Shooting for a goal time or around 2:58- 2:59. Right now we have a handful of other runners who wish to get that monkey off their back and are going to join us. It's free and Logan said he plans on wearing balloons and glow sticks so everyone can stay with us. If you sitting on the fence of 3:15, 3:10 or just trying to go under 3 come join us and we'll get ya there without the stress.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 10:52:30 am »

I'll mention this to McKenzie (Mac Attack).  She is in shape for 2:5ish.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:55:47 am »

I might have to come down just to see Logan wearing balloons and glow sticks!

Logan helped pace me to my sub-2:40 marathon PR a few years ago and did a great job.  For anyone who is interested, definitely join Clyde and Logan- it is much easier when you have some pacers to run behind, esp. on the uphills.

MattRow is going BQ (3:10) but I think he is in 3:00 shape.  He may join you.
Matthew Rowley
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:08:42 am »

Yes I would be Interested in Joining the group.  I am shotting for Sub 3. 
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:09:39 am »

Those two are going to put a leash on Bill "Wildbull" Campbell and keep him under control from the start.
Cal Stauffer
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 11:26:40 am »

Sounds like a superb idea.

I'll hang with you guys as long as i can.
Jeff
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 02:58:23 pm »

I am certainly interested as well.
Josse

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 03:18:44 pm »

Oh I wish.  I would love that, I just don't think I will quite be there by then.  I just want to go down and not even wear a watch and just have fun. 
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 12:51:13 am »

I'm shooting for sub 3:10. But training is going well lately, so I might take a risk and jump in with this group. I'll have to see.
Dustin Ence
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 06:48:38 pm »

I think you could handle running with these guys Steve.  They both know the course well and would be able to help you get your Boston Qualifier no problem.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:39:20 pm »

Clyde, do you have an idea of the general strategy for this? I mean, will it be to run even splits, negative splits, account for uphills at all, etc?
Superfly

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 04:26:36 pm »

Not even paced. You don't do that at STG. On the downhill you make up time for all the uphill... So everything is adjusted to the hills. With that being said on even effort you'll end up running a negative split.
Steve P
Posting Member

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 11:27:20 am »

Interesting. Thanks for the info. On looking at the elevation profile, there appears to be a stretch from mile 7 to mile 11 that is uphill and flat. And then a few small uphills here and there. It sounds like the elevation profile may be a bit deceiving as the amount of impact those hills will have. I've run it once before but don't remember it that well.

Also, there are some stretches with steep downhill. I am pretty sure those sections trashed my calves when I ran it before because I was overstriding. I hope to avoid that this time.

Anyway, looking forward to being guided by some experts.
AndyBrowning
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 03:34:41 pm »

Steve,

This pace chart will give you an idea of how the hills affect your pace: http://www.xmission.com/~abx3/sgm_pace.php
Superfly

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 11:05:14 am »

We are still on board to pace anyone who wants to break that 3 hour mark. Logan and I are geared up and ready to pull, push and kick anyone who wants to join our group. We've already had several people contact us and mention on this blog as well. Hope to see ya there. There will be a St. George Running Center booth set up at the expo so go there the day before the race to find out details about where to meet on race morning yada, yada, yada. It's going to be a blast so come join us.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: