Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 08:43:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training pace  (Read 7622 times)
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 02:40:59 pm »

OK, something I have just discovered in the last few days -- everybody here probably already knows this -- but changing my stride mechanics is having a noticeable effect on my pacing.

Monitoring/adjusting my stride while I'm running is totally new to me, and it seems to be changing my pace *independently* of my running *effort* -- which would seem logical if I'm doing it right and eliminating stride flaws.  For example, the same effort that would have gotten me 11-minute miles last month is now getting me 10-minute miles. I am not working harder, just differently, and my stride rate & (probably) power have changed as a result.

I have only been using a Garmin during my runs for the last month, which helps.  I can see tangibly, almost in real-time feedback, what techniques make me go faster/slower. To see myself clocking faster times with the *same* effort (just different form) is shocking. And awesome!  I am still slow, for sure, but I am speeding up!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 02:46:27 pm »

What changes are you making to your stride?
ChromeDome Steve
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:33 pm »

Lately I have been practicing the "Forward Lean" "Pounding the Ground" and "Floppy Feet" drills from the Brain Training for Runners book.

In particular, "Pounding the Ground" and "Floppy Feet" seem to make my stride more powerful and cover more distance with the same cadence/effort. I'm not kidding when I say it used to be a struggle to hit 10 minutes per mile, but since those drills I am finding each mile is clocking in the 9:00 range (or even high 8:00 pace sometimes). Even when I "feel" like I am losing steam and slowing down to the kind of pace that would normally mean an 11:00 minute mile, I am still in like 10:00 - 10:15 range.

I started with the "Forward Lean" -- which suggests leaning forward but only from the ankles... and making my stride shorter. I think I was a pretty bad overstrider ... I probably always have been, but had nobody to correct me. Thinking about that and midfoot striking has also helped.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 01:15:53 pm »

Thoughts on this - you will probably not be able to measure the effectiveness of any stride changes for another 3 years. Because your aerobic fitness and muscle power will be increasing while your weight will go down. Changes in performance from a different stride technique are very minimal compared to the ones from just becoming more fit, thus they will be masked and next to impossible to detect.

The best way to find the optimal stride, in my opinion,  is find a training partner that can run your dream pace for a long time without a whole lot of struggle. Then just try to keep up with him for as long as you can, and do not give up easily. Your body will eventually learn to run with the best form for its individual strengths and weaknesses.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: