Fast Running Blog
June 30, 2024, 04:15:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Good places to run in SLC  (Read 8799 times)
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 12:01:59 pm »

It's great, you'll love it, Maurine.  Bring plenty of water and a sense of adventure! 
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »

People have a way of hiding in the workwork. They hide from bad weather, cold, etc. Then they suddenly show up for races. On the Lakefront path in Chicago I once counted over 1000 people that I passed (not including those going the other direction) on a summer 20 miler. On winter days I have done 10 miles without seeing more than a handful of people, or occasionally none. Then in April about 25,000 people will show up to run the Shamrock Shuffle 8K. I doubt all of them were not running through the winter, they were just hiding somewhere.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 04:49:23 pm »

Except I am talking about weather conditions that I would not think anybody would want to hide from - no rain, 60 degrees. Still a fairly empty trail.
Michael Laputka
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2009, 10:10:11 am »

It's about 6 miles to the top of City Creek, which is Rotary Park.  There are many water fountains along the way, even one at the top in Rotary Park.  There are also many bathrooms.  The elevation at Rotary Park is about 6000 feet, I'd guess the elevation at Memory Grove is about 4400.  I run in City Creek all the time, it's a wonderful place to run, it's paved all the way to the top.  On odd days, cyclists can use the canyon, there are several signs keeping foot traffic to the creek side of the road and cyclist on the other side.  I've never had a problem running here, or cycling for that matter, I highly recommend it. 

I've also run 5 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon.  There's a nice big parking lot at the base of the canyon.  I felt very safe.  There were plenty of other runners and cyclists.  There were a few tight spots but for the most part there is a pretty good shoulder.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2009, 06:21:16 pm »

Thanks for all of the suggestioins. It beats randomly searching for what I want (which I will still do anyway).
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 08:51:51 pm »

In case anyone runs across this in the future I suggest a little yellow "Bicycling  Salt Lake" book. Lots and lots of good ideas.
bencrozier
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 09:48:25 am »

Hey, Dallen.  How's it going?  I hope your training is going well, man!  I have been using a tool that has been very helpful to me whenever I want to be adventurous with new training routes.  Check out: www.mapmyrun.com  It's a fun tool.....

We should get together to run sometime.  I am training a lot right now, but I'm probably too slow to run with you at least for another couple of months until I can get some decent speed.  I am hanging out in Utah Valley all summer until it gets cold.... so, we'll have to meet up for a training run or some food or something sometime.

--Ben
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: