Fast Running Blog
June 22, 2024, 09:42:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you all use to measure distance and pace?  (Read 7688 times)
Matt Konold
Lurker

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 05:03:46 pm »

aha!!  I'm going to watch those VPB's more closely.  Er,  maybe not.  nevermind. 

Back on topic. . . Garmins are great!

/imagining Sasha at his computer with face in his hands shaking his head.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:06:22 pm by Matt Konold » Logged
Joe Furse
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 05:28:46 pm »

I don't have a Garmin.  I rely heavily on the Course Tool on here.  Once you use that for awhile you can develop a pretty accurate 'feel' for time, pace and distance, but I'd still use either a Garmin or the Course Tool where possible.  At my best (which usually corresponds to how much running I'm doing) I can usually estimate to within a half mile or less of how long I've been running but that takes time and I still map it out to be safe.  It is unrealistic for those of us who are human to get a wheel measurement for every run we do.  That's why we have things like the Course Tool and Garmins, especially for trail type runs or runs on curvy courses.  I lost my watch (I hate wearing one anyway) so right now I use my desk clock and just subtract the 5 minutes it takes to get from my room to running and back and then use the course tool to find the distance.  You will also find that once you know a specific run is a certain length you'll use it over again or use parts of it that you know the length of over again.  Soon you'll have this "bank" or smorgasbord of runs and run segments and you'll be piecing them together in new ways but still knowing the distance and hardly even need to use the Course Tool.  If you want to be obsessive like me you can write them down or save them using the course tool.  Sorry for the random word salad but I just woke up from my Sunday Nap and am not exactly coherent...
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 12:50:16 pm »

When I originally started training I used a car to measure a course and then also knowing my pace could roughly estimate a course.  However, I also love to run trails and it gets pretty hard to get a car (even with my Jeep) to the top of a mountain - so switched to a Garmin.  Once you know roughly how long a course is, you can also just run the course, or use a stopwatch/watch to get an idea of your time. 

I have had good results with Google Earth and MapMyRun.com also.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: