Fast Running Blog
June 27, 2024, 09:00:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I crazy?  (Read 3864 times)
James
Lurker

« on: May 04, 2009, 07:13:53 pm »

I'm just trying to get some of your thoughts.

This past weekend I signed up for the St George Marathon on a whim (I saw that the deadline was soon and I didn't want to regret not signing up when I live in St. George so I did.)  Well I am in horrible shape right now.  I haven't run consistently since 2004, and from 2005 to march of 2008 it was very sporadic.  Since last march till just about a week ago I have done almost no running whatsoever.  I decided to start a program last week...but it's a very gradual and slow program since I have taken so much time off and I don't want to get injured.  Most of my runs are currently at an 8 or 8:30 pace, so I guess I'm not in that bad of shape, they're just short runs though.  Also, this is going to be my first marathon.

I was originally starting this program to run marathons next year, or as early as december maybe, but now I'm faced with the dilemma of one in october.  So what can I expect from 5 months of training?  Currently I just plan on finishing, but I've never liked to run races with that kind of goal.  I want to eventually be under 3 hours but I'm definitely not expecting that on 5 months of training.

What are your thoughts or ideas?  Any help would be appreciated.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:50:17 pm »

No not crazy.  A little aggressive, but that's "OK".  Depending on your running background, but slowly work into running everyday.  I would forget about pace and just run for a certain time like 30 minutes and let the miles fall where they may.  Then gradually increase the amount of time you run each day by 5-10 minutes.  Take some rest days or cross train during the first month, but work up to running at least 5-6 times a week.  I wouldn't think about dedicated speed training until 4-6 weeks prior to your taper, but remember that's just the frosting and I would do it only once a week.  I would concentrate more on building up time running each day.  You have to do this very gradually though and get in touch with body signals.  After about 2 months of nearly daily running you can then start taking the traditional long run once a week.  At the start, I would just double the time you normally run each day and use that as your long run starting point.  For example, if you are running a hour each day then go for 2 hours on the long run.  But run those slower than your typically daily pace and don't be afraid to take walking breaks in the beginning.  You don't want to exhaust yourself completely, but just feel tired at the end.  If that means walking a bit that's fine.  Time spent moving on your feet is key here.  Over time you can then consider doing 2 long runs per week, but that depends on your recovery and schedule.  I think if you build your running time up gradually, incorporate some walking, and forget about pacing until the last month then you might just surprise yourself.  I'm obviously advocating a more volume vs. speed approach.  Just my quick 2 cents.  Best of luck!
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 01:23:04 pm »

Bob's plan sounds reasonable, and I'm sure that if you follow your gradual plan you'll do fine. You've got 7 months of training basically until mid-october ... isn't this when SGM is? Just to give you some encouragment ... I didn't run for 15 years. When I picked it up I couldn't run much over 1.5 miles before I had to stop and walk. I ran for 4 months until I was able to build my mileage up to the 40ish/week range. Then I took about 2.5 weeks off from running and cross-trained before entering a 5 month training period leading up to my 1st marathon. I was able to BQ. I think that you'll do just fine over 7 months if you take it slow, listen to your body, and stay consistent over the 7 months. You've got the added advantage that you've been doing some running since 2004 that I did not have.
Maurine Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 01:35:25 pm »

You do have only 5 months until St. George - but if you follow your body's indications and Bob's suggestions - you should be able to complete the marathon. I would set that as my goal the first year - just to finish.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 05:25:52 pm »

I ran my first marathon, which was SG, with only 4 month to train.  My plan was just to train for a half, but when it came around I found my self ready for it so I did it.  I ran a 3:43, which I thought was pretty good for my first.  I think you will be fine, just stick with it and don't up your mileage to fast.  There is are a lot of good runners in St. G, hook up with a running club and get advice form them.  It is nice to do your long runs with people.
James
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 07:38:10 am »

Thanks for your input everyone, it sounds like I'm not as crazy as I thought I might be, just a little overzealous.  Well I'm definitely going to take it slow, I'll keep blogging, and hopefully I'll see you all in october.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »

James:

You were fast not too long ago. From the picture you look like a healthy young man with no extreme amounts of excess weight. Usually a young man of this profile has a body that is a whole lot more resilient than somebody in their 40s who never exercised and is overweight.

With that in mind, I would suggest the following to start with immediately:

a) Train 6 days a week, rest one day.
b) Start with 5 miles a day, increase gradually as you feel fit, but do not go less than 5 miles.
c) Do not walk, just run. Run slower if you have to, but you should not have to if the pace is 8:30.
d) If you feel good on the 6th day of training before rest, go a little longer, but start with no more than 8 miles. If you do not feel good, run only 5.
e) Probably should have been a), very important - do not skip training days! No excuses, no exceptions - the only good reason to miss a run is a health reason - if you are sick or injured. The reason so many people on the blog have gotten 30+ minute PRs is exactly that - they stopped skipping training days.
f) Very important as well - do not mess up on your recovery. Good sleep, have a bedtime curfew. Good diet, no junk food, plenty of fruits, vegetables, and grains, moderate amounts of meat. From watching numerous runners on the blog for the last 3 years I have learned that when e) is followed, but f) is not, the end result is often an injury, and very often a stress fracture.
g) When you need more direction post again.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: