Fast Running Blog
April 25, 2024, 05:54:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How you get that skinny?!  (Read 16703 times)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« on: October 08, 2008, 09:43:10 am »

This past week I went back to my high school (graduated 2004) to do some observations for some of my grad classes and it was nice to see everyone's reactions. No one really recognized me believe it or not! It was nice to hear all the encouragement from some of my teachers. I have just changed so much since then that they can hardly believe it. I lost about 35 lbs since I was there, and gained 2-3" in height, as well as now I sport this sexy Mountain man beard. Who knows. Maybe I'm actually growing up! Anyways it made me feel good to hear that I looked good. Makes all those miles of triles worth it on the bike this summer.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:35:05 am »

I've lost 10 pounds since high school too, but I was skinny to begin with. I'm also weaker and dumber. Not sure how many complements I'd get, other than, "You don't look a day over 20!"
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 04:55:16 am »

yeah especially now without your facial hair :-P I didn't recognize you in your picture!
Fredrick Teichert
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »

If I went back to my high school everybody would be dead. There's just one more reason to run. Sometimes I try to keep my turnover up by repeating, "I'm not dead, yet," repeated about a thousand times.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 05:22:22 am »

Since picking up distance running, I now always get asked the question, "Are you ok?  You are are so thin!".  Like being thin is so bad that they think I have a disease or an eating disorder (they obviously don't see me eating all day long!).  The next time someone (mostly overweight people) asks me that, I am tempted to reply..."I am fine, but I notice you have put on a few pounds, how is that diabetes treating you?".
Jeff Linger

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:12 am »

Heh. People at work used to say things like that to me. Now they say things like "You're such a pig, you're always eating." Or, "its like you're on a hunt, you're on a constant quest for food." Maybe the next time someone asks if you're ok because you look so skinny, you should challenge them to an eating contest.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:25:04 am »

Benn - better to group than out, eh? 
adam

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:43:11 am »

The one that annoys me the most is the "I was skinny like you once"...said as if my growing older inevitably means gaining an extra hundred pounds and needing hospital care. Or as if it means that I'm unhealthy and by getting older I'll "fill out normally".
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 03:13:55 pm »

I figure I will fill out once I hit my growth spurt. Still waiting.
Bob
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »

I was called Skeletor for a while until people got use to my weight loss.  Not a flattering comment by any means.  Or how about this one, "Yeah, you've lost all that weight for now, but wait until you get injured, blah, blah, blah".  I can't stand dumb comments like that one either.
Kelsey S
Lurker

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 08:52:29 am »

Ugh, I get the skinny comments all the time. "Go eat a steak!" I always say, "okay, if you're paying for it." My best friend usually speaks up for me and says that I eat all day (which I do). And I hate hearing "you can eat whatever you want." When I stopped running years ago I gained 15 pounds! Anyone can eat comfortably if they're running consistent miles every week. We're not thin because we're evil, we're thin because we work for it!
Rob Rohde
Lurker

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 08:14:08 am »

So I recently lost about 70 lbs in about a 6 month period when I started running again.  I did change my diet at first but now that I am down to within 10 lbs of my race day weight, I pretty much eat what ever I want all day long.  I got comments like "do you have cancer", or flat out "are you anorexic" my wife accused me of being Bulimic.  Now there is a new one "Exercise Bulimia"  http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercisehealth/a/exercisebulimia.htm  I actually have a hard time convincing myself that I don't have all of those symptoms.  I have put together schedules leading up to goal races and the OCD in me makes me follow them to a tee, or I feel like I have failed that day.

Thoughts?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 12:26:16 pm »

Symptoms from the site with my comments: 

*  Missing work, parties or other appointments in order to workout

Well, you went to San Francisco to work, which killed your Top of Utah performance.

* Working out with an injury or while sick

You should cut the mileage appropriately when the health is not 100%.

* Becoming seriously depressed if you can't get a workout in

Get it in, there is always a way. I've never had to miss a planned workout altogether although I've had to run less or slower to accommodate life.

* Working out for hours at a time each day

Hmm.. so you go out for a 15 mile run and you take it slow so it takes 2 hours, that is more than one hour :-)

* Not taking any rest or recovery days

Six days shalt thou labor, on the seventh shalt thou rest.

On a serious note, there is a difference between exercising to exercise and training to achieve peak performance. You are not worried about the workouts, you are more worried about results. In general, when you focus on the results of exercise more than the process you get a more balanced approach to it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: