Fast Running Blog
April 16, 2024, 10:34:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Squeeze bottles for racing  (Read 3585 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« on: August 13, 2008, 09:37:28 am »

So I am guessing I should be looking into buying some squeeze bottles for St. G. and future marathons.  St. G. apparently has elite tables where we can place water bottles.  I am thinking I should take advantage of this since I almost choked on the water I tried to swallow during the 1/2 marathon this weekend.  Anyone have a suggestion on a type (I am thinking low cost since I will need to buy 8-12).  I am thinking each bottle wouldn't need to be too big since I wouldn't drink more than 6 oz per stop.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 01:04:41 pm »

A bunch of the elites last year commented that it was too dark, confusing, and slow to find their bottles at the first few stops.  If it were me, I would just take the regular cups at the first few aid stations and then put bottles at the later stations.  Talk to Paul, Clyde, etc for more info about last year.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:20:32 pm »

Jon, you hit it right on the head!  That's my plan for this year; and don't rely on those bottles, just in case it isn't ready, so you can move on and not waste time searching.
Superfly
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:34:40 am »

The bottles you do end up using don't have to be anything special. I just use regular water bottles with the pop-up caps. Arrowhead makes a good one but any brand will do. The last couple years I've only placed two. One at mile 11 and another at mile 19. This seems to work pretty good and then I use the water along the way to take the edge off. Last year it was a pain at mile 11. I spent 15-20 seconds stopping to find my drink and then had to work to get back into things. However you can mix whatever and sometimes your own little drink can do wonders later on in the race.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: