Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 09:46:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD  (Read 3244 times)
Tyler Standish
Lurker

« on: August 06, 2008, 10:34:09 pm »

Jillian really kicks your butt!!  For those of you who don't know who she is - she is the trainer on the television show "The Biggest Loser."  Her 30 day shred dvd has 3 - 25 minute workouts (level 1, 2, 3).  I am at level 3 now and it is tough!!  I like to do it on my non-running days because it incorporates strength training with cardio.  All you need is a pair of handwieghts.  I have been using 10 pounders (I think she uses 5 in the dvd) for a little extra strength workout - although I still can't do the jumping jacks with the weights. 

It's a really great workout for someone who wants to try something a little different.  I usually don't like a lot of dvds for various reasons but you really get results with this one.

Has anyone else tried it?
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 10:58:29 am »

This would OK for professional runners who have plenty of leisure time, or for people that do not care to maximize their running potential. Problem - unless you've run at least 10 miles that day already, the time you spend on this exercise is the time you do not spend building your aerobic base.  And the lack of running-specific aerobic base is the barrier that separates 99% of the runners from their dream goals. Little wonder - to get it you need to be out running for at least an hour a day 6 days a week with no skipping, no excuses, no exceptions, no cutting the run short. Very few people have that kind of discipline.

When your focus is to maximize your running performance, there should be no exercise days that are non-running days unless you are injured to the point where it is unhealthy or impossible to run. In which case, next best choices are cross-country skiing, pool running, elliptical, bike, and swimming in that order. Cross training in addition to running is helpful, but it should never be instead.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: