Fast Running Blog
April 18, 2024, 04:15:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Headlamp recommendations  (Read 6103 times)
Dale
Posting Member

« on: July 01, 2008, 09:16:26 am »

I'm thinking about buying a headlamp for running and was looking for recommendations from the crowd.
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:43 am »

I don't know much about brands or anything, but make sure it has the cool red light option!  Running in the dark with the red light on my head is one of the simple pleasures of life!  Cat's eyes look so cool as you look at them in the dark!  Always sway your head around and up and down as cars and other runners are coming toward you so they think there is an alien out there with them!  Much adventure awaits you as you enjoy such things!.....Sorry, I guess I'm not much help.  Maybe someone a little more serious can help you out.  Smiley
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 11:48:12 am »

To me, it's just all about comfort. Different headlamps have different fits on different people. If you are looking for somewhere to get one, I would recommend going to REI. They have a pretty good selection there.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 01:01:21 pm »

Get the one that has a police-like flashing lights. Then you can give speeding tickets to the road kill in the Northwest Passage Relay. Also will make the passing cars slow down a little bit while they are trying to figure out what in the world is going on.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 01:14:33 pm »

I know a bunch of guys at WBR had some little, lithium powered $10 headlamp from Wal-mart that they really liked.  Check it out.  Don't know if you can replace the batteries, though.  http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6043630

I have used a PrincetonTec one for all my relays, and it works well.  Uses 3 AAA batteries, so pretty lightweight, but not like the Walmart one. Similar to:  http://www.rei.com/product/736937

If you want a superbright one, go for one that has a 1-watt LED bulb.  http://www.rei.com/product/715189

Lots of choices out there.  I would just try a bunch on at a sporting goods store.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 02:41:21 pm »

I just bought a Darcy headlamp at Big 5 for $9 and it worked fine at WBR.  It runs on AAA batteries and was snug and light.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:36:47 am »

Thanks for the suggestions.
Kim:  I've actually got a red Fireflight light I could use, but I don't know how much of a reaction I'd get with just it.  Maybe I should get a strobe light....that'd create some good effects.  I could dip all my clothes in some fluorescent materials to enhance the spookiness!
Sasha:  I'm not sure I can afford the time to write the tickets....plus, the extra weight of the ticket book and the computer to check IDs and all....after all, I'm supposed to be running, right?  Plus, mounting it would probably be an issue and I probably wouldn't like the hardware required!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: