Fast Running Blog
April 25, 2024, 03:43:54 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Racing Flats  (Read 14458 times)
allie
Posting Member

« on: June 29, 2008, 06:39:05 pm »

Ok, I am looking to purchase some new racing flats for my upcoming races. I am wondering if anyone knows (or has an opinion) about the best brand/shoe for racing flats. I usually alternate between asics and saucony, but I am willing to branch out if there is a better option out there. I don't know much about shoes, but I want to be in the best pairs I can, as I am really looking to set some new PRs in my next races.

Also, I usually replace my training shoes after about 400-500 miles, but because racing flats have less stability, I am guessing I replace them sooner? Maybe after 100-200? Thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:21:37 pm »

Well everyone I know seems to love running in saucony racing flats. I haven't really heard any negative reviews of any other brand besides Nike. It seems that not many people like to run in Nike racing flats.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 10:11:27 pm »

The best one is the shoe that fits and gives you the right amount of support.  I slightly overpronante and use Saucony Tangents.  I have been using Tangent 2, but then just got some Tangent 3.  They rock- lighter and cheaper than Tangent 2.  Great shoe!

I had some Nike's and the soles wore out quickly, like Steve said.

They do have a bit less cushioning, so early retirement might be good (I would say 300-400 miles, 100 seems too soon unless using Nike Mayfly).  But just pay attention to how they feel.
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:07:52 pm »

Each runner will be different, because of the arch fit and just what's best for you.  I have the Mizuno Idaten, Saucony Tangent 3, Asics Bandito's, and Ohana Racers.  To me the Tangent 3 is more of a trainer and a ittle heavier than the ones I mentioned.  The Mizuno Idaten are 7 oz and the lightest out of the bunch.  The Asics Ohana Racers are awesome but discontinued.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 04:44:00 pm »

thanks everyone!
Thatcher
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 06:27:24 pm »

I actually have some Nike racing flats, and I like them a lot. I have the Nike Zoom Streak. They are comfortable and lightweight. I would guess that mine have lasted longer because I race shorter distances on them. I used them for indoor track, shorter tempo runs, and 5k's.

I also had some asics which I liked, and an older pair of nike racing flats. The asics had more support, but I am comfortable racing a 5k in shoes without as much support. I would imagine that for a marathon, you would want shoes with more support.
Susannah Hurst
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:34 am »

I've also been considering getting some new flats.  But I was wondering if anyone else has had the same kind that I currently have.  I have asics, I think gel dirt divas is what they're called.  They're actually spikes, but they came with rubber things to put in place of the spikes to use as flats, so they are really more like cleats.  They hurt my feet after a while because of this, and my toes have felt a little numb afterwards sometimes.   
Maria Imas
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:36:48 pm »

I have gel dirt divas too, but I actually use them as spikes on the track.

For racing flats, I use Saucony Fastwich Endurance - a great fitting shoe. I don't know how the latest models are, but this one is the initial version they came up with, and I love them. It's not easy to find well fitting flats for women, most of them are cut for men, but Saucony Fastwich come in women-specific cut.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 07:27:17 pm »

If you want a minimal shoe I love my Brooks T5 flats. Light as air and still decent cushioning.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 05:20:10 pm »

For racing flats, I use Saucony Fastwich Endurance - a great fitting shoe. I don't know how the latest models are, but this one is the initial version they came up with, and I love them. It's not easy to find well fitting flats for women, most of them are cut for men, but Saucony Fastwich come in women-specific cut.
good choice. The saucony fasttwitch are an awesome racing flat.
Sean Sundwall
Posting Member

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 10:53:04 am »

I LOVE my Brooks ST3 Racers. I get a good 200 miles out of them. They are light yet still provide the support needed for a moderate pronator. If you are a neutral runner, then the Brooks T5s are all you need. http://www.brooksrunning.com/prod.php?p=40020&k=82707
Jeff Linger
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 02:34:16 pm »

I'm very pleased with my Asics Gel Speedstar IIs. Should be able to get about 250 miles out of them. Don't really know how much they constitute as a flat though, but for middle to long distance races they work great (10K up).
James Leblow
Lurker

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 11:06:40 am »

Here is a great shoe for 10k below races the grid type A2 I have had many different flats and they are the best flats I have ever had

Running It's More Than Just A Sport!
Derrek Lewis
Lurker

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 09:45:52 pm »

If your willing to branch out adidas has a decent line of flats they've named adiZero. The lightest and most minimal of these are the PR's weighing in at only 3.9 ounces each but they also have flats for distances up to marathon. You also asked about the life expectancy of flats. To answer this the more minimalist flats like the PR's or the Nike Mayfly's will usually last only 100k or about 62 miles while the more cushioned flats like the Saucony Grid Fastwitch Nike Marathoner, or Adidas Boston will last at least 150 miles if not longer.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:03:04 pm by Derrek Lewis » Logged
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 02:18:49 pm »

I have the Grid Fastwitch 3 and love them.  7.3 oz with a small amount of stability.  Not sure if I would wear them for the marathon or not, but certainly good for distances up to the 1/2 marathon.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: