Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 02:02:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Gatorade a sports drink?  (Read 5737 times)
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« on: June 25, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »

I've hears a lot of controversy over Gatorade the last little bit. A lot of people are saying that Gatorade isn't good for running because it has too much artificial sugar. What does eveyone think about Gatorade?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:54:02 am »

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/86/6/1586

Conclusion: Energy balance consequences of HFCS-sweetened soft drinks are not different from those of other isoenergetic drinks, eg, a sucrose-drink or milk.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 07:05:55 am »

Wow Jon, lots of big words!!
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:47:20 am »

Wow Jon, lots of big words!!
That's cause I didn't write it.  I'm not even sure what all of it means, I just know it looks official and relevant.  And I do know that the conclusion means HFCS Gatorade gets energy into your blood stream just like sugar drinks do.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:28:02 am »

I didn't totally follow all of your words there. Would you say that Gatorade is bad or good?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 09:04:24 am »

The sugar/energy in Gatorade affects your body the same as the sugar/energy in any other drink (pop, milk, juice, etc).  So, if you want a drink that gives you energy, then it meets that goal.  It also has some sodium, etc to help during exercise.  In my opinion, it is good.  But other people may have other opinions. 

In questions like this, Steve, you really can't break it down to good/bad.  Everything is relative and subjective based on what you believe (which studies, etc) and what you want by drinking it.  Kind of like asking "Is it good to stretch before you run?"- you will get all different answers.  You have to judge for yourself based on what you hear.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 09:19:26 am »

Alright. That makes more sense.
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 09:34:34 am »

There are better products on the market with a better electrolyte profile.  I prefer Hammer HEED, or even plain water with endolytes, not so much sugar and no HFCS, and better balance of electrolytes.  www.hammernutrition.com
Kory Wheatley
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 04:16:43 pm »

It really depends on if it works for that person.  I can't drink Gatorade while running because of the stomach issues it gives me.  I have no problem drinking it while I'm not running.  The key is does it give you the muscle recovery and energy you need in a long run, and that might be different for each runner.  Personally, I like gatorade.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: