Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 04:00:14 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: garmin maps  (Read 2865 times)
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« on: June 16, 2008, 07:33:59 am »

A few months ago, I got a garmin 205 as a gift. I've figured out that for the most part its pretty accurate, and better than nothing, but it can lose signal (like, I assume, when you're running 7min pace and it suddenly says you're running 9:15).

So, my question is, when you pull up the map after a run on the garmin training center, do the dots display the signal strength? Is it the closer the dots are together, the more accurate the course distance/pace/elevation is? The further apart the dots are (or less number of dots) is the point where there was less or blocked signal?
Cory Birt
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 04:39:38 pm »

I've been running with my 205 for about a year.  You're right - I've found mine to be accurate too.  I'm wondering if you're experiencing something I did initially.  One of the default screens was set for Pace.  I believe this theoretically calculates your real time pace.  However, I found this to be wildly inaccurate.  I believe it's due to the satellite triangulation, weak signals, etc.  I think the Pace feature is pretty much useless.  To remedy the problem, I changed up the screen to use LAP PACE.  This works well.  The Garmin can be set for automatic laps of any distance or you can manually signal your laps.  The LAP PACE feature will display your pace from the beginning of the current lap until now.

I like this feature a lot and find it very useful in training and racing.

cnb
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: