Fast Running Blog
March 29, 2024, 03:07:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: tobacco and healing bruises  (Read 47368 times)
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« on: June 12, 2008, 10:06:31 am »

My chiropractor told me today that a good way to reduce swelling or get rid of bruises is to get some chewing tobacco and pack it tight (wrapped/taped, I'm assuming) against the injury. He said it's what God made tobacco for. I told him it sounds crazy.

Anyone know anything about this, or tried it?
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:52:33 pm »

I know historically tobacco has been used to reduce bruising by placing it on the skin.  I read recently that ranchers still use it on cows, and I'm sure some people do it, too. 
Chad
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 03:45:36 pm »

get some chewing tobacco and pack it tight (wrapped/taped, I'm assuming) against the injury.

Skoal Bandits would be cleaner Smiley
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:02:47 pm »

Maybe just a nicotine patch? At least then I will look like I'm trying to quit smoking, rather than looking like I'm buying chewing tobacco...
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:57:08 pm »

Sounds something like an old-fashioned poultice.
http://www.ashtreepublishing.com/Book_City_Herbal_Mullen.htm
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:44:27 pm »

I've heard it being used to treat bruises. I think I've also heard it is good for bee stings?
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 01:50:49 pm »

I've heard of this before. I'm sure that it wouldn't hurt to try it. I've never heard of negative effects from using it.
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 03:05:44 pm »

I tried it last week. It didn't do anything for me, other than give my foot a mild rash that went away a few days later. I think it's only good for bruises, and not general inflammation. I felt pretty stupid buying chewing tobacco, by the way.

Paul: Uh, I need some chewing tobacco
Gas station attendant: What kind?
Paul: Uh, standard?
Gas station attendant: What?
Paul: Uh, like, not snuff.
Gas station attendant: Okay, we have some long-cut over here. What brand?
Paul: Uh, whatever's cheap.
Gas station attendant: You're pretty stupid, aren't you?
Paul: Uh, I'm going to pack it around my foot. Obviously.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 03:20:35 pm »

Love the story, Paul.  "Uh, standard".  Beauty.

Kind of like when my mom read that beer in tuna cans is good for attracting and killing slugs in your garden (it works, by the way).  She only bought 1 can of Bud and felt real uncomfortable doing it.  Had out her ID even though she was obviously over 40 and everything.  Then a friend came over and saw the half-empty can in the fridge...
Josse

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 03:33:44 pm »

The best thing that I have found to cut down on bruising time as well as muscle soreness (and I have used alot of products over the years) is Winter Crest.  I even put it on my daugters coldsore, which see gets all the time and usually takes forever to go away.  It was almost gone the next morning.    You can check out the product at www.wintercrest.org
and besides this stuff has to work becasue it is created and blessed by Fire eagle medicine woman. No kiddin.  I use it after I scrape and bruise really bad and the bruising goes away in half the time.
Josse

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 03:38:41 pm »

Love the story, Paul.  "Uh, standard".  Beauty.

Kind of like when my mom read that beer in tuna cans is good for attracting and killing slugs in your garden (it works, by the way).  She only bought 1 can of Bud and felt real uncomfortable doing it.  Had out her ID even though she was obviously over 40 and everything.  Then a friend came over and saw the half-empty can in the fridge...
or just makes the neighborhood cats and dogs alittle tipsy;)
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 07:55:44 pm »

Speaking of treating muscle soreness, has anyone tried the myomed cream? It suposedly is a better version of icy hot because it helps the muscles recover rather than just numb them. Is this claim actually true?
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 08:11:51 pm »

I've got some myomed, but don't really like it (too greasy and stays on the hands). All those things - Myomed - Icy Hot - BioFreeze - Cool 'n' Fit - they're all exactly the same as far as I'm concerned. All have the same active ingredient. None really do anything permanent.
Steve Morrin
Posting Member

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »

I've actually tried MyoMed before, but it was just a sample at the Wasatch Back. I do agree on the greasy thing. It was hard to get off of my hands. So does anyone think that myomed does work?
Sirenesque
Lurker

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2008, 10:11:12 pm »

Tobacco is a great anti-inflammatory, but you need to use fresh tobacco leaves which are near to impossible to get. I tried to get some earlier this year, but no one will sell them, apparently something to do with taxation!!  You might want to try Arnica for bruising and swelling, or even check into getting some traumeel.  I have been using Arnica lately with pretty good success.  Both are available at Whole Foods, or other natural food stores.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: