Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 10:47:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal encounters  (Read 51037 times)
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« on: June 03, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

One time while running in a group we saw a cougar about 1.5 miles into the South Fork of the Provo Canyon. We stopped, he looked at us, and then ran up the mountain.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 02:48:21 pm »

On March 27th, 2007 I got sprayed by a skunk during a quarter repeat. Details at

http://sasha.fastrunningblog.com/blog-Ran-with-Ted-in-morning-He-ran-easy/03-27-2007.html
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 03:10:14 pm »

I've run into 6 moose, a few rattlesnakes, and the usual deer, cows, skunk, elk, etc.

Last year I had some extra time on my hands and saw a bunch of animals on one run, so I documented it "TV style".
http://jon.fastrunningblog.com/blog--Announcer-nbsp-This-week-on-The-/07-11-2007.html
Dave Scott
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 09:34:16 pm »

Thursday of last week on a run I was attacked by a cat. No not a mountain lion or bobcat. Just a ferral cat. I was running down a two track road on my farm with my dogs when they started barking at something over in some trees. I ran over to see what it was and saw a large tom cat that then ran at me and jumped on my thigh. I was wearing shorts so it had a grip on my bare skin. I tried to shake it and nock it off. It seemed like it was attached forever but I'm sure it was just a couple of seconds Then I think the dogs pulled it off or it just jumped when they tried to. I counted 17 bleeding puncture wounds and several other scratches all the way around my leg mostly on my thigh. Some on the calf. By the time I finished the run I had blood running all the way to my shoe. I'm pretty sure one mark was a bite as it was deeper than the rest and had that pattern the exact size of it's canine teeth. It also bruised a lot the next day.

It's usually those big mean dogs you worry about but now you know watch out for the kittys.
James Winzenz
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 04:17:41 pm »

Better make sure you get a tetanus booster after that kind of encounter - never know if it had rabies or not.
Adam R Wende

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 07:28:53 pm »

A brown bear details here http://arw.fastrunningblog.com/blog-08-07-2007.html
Dave Scott
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 08:06:24 pm »

Better make sure you get a tetanus booster after that kind of encounter - never know if it had rabies or not.
My dogs killed the cat and I took it to the health dept. for rabies testing which I just found out came back negative and I had a tetanus booster 4 years ago. I guess I can still get cat scratch fever but I guess there's not much you can do about that.
Superfly

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:24:36 am »

Here in St.George there is a massive desert reserve north of town in every direction- Why? to protect the desert tortoise. I've talked to hundreds of people who have lived in STG for 20 years to their whole lives and they have never seen one of these turtles in the wild. Including the WildBull. But I've been running out there for a little over two years and have came across more than 10 of the little guys in several locations. Most recently last Saturday morning (june 7) I saw two within one mile of each other. Anyways nothing really mind blowing but it's always pretty cool to see one just truckin' along.
I've seen plenty of rattle snakes out there too, and coyote's.
Dave Holt
Posting Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:40:40 am »

I guess I can still get cat scratch fever ....
Didn't Ted Nugent sing a song about that?  No, wait... I think it was a different kind of "cat scratch fever"!
Bonnie
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 12:11:05 pm »

This morning I saw two turkey vultures (http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/339/articles/introduction) near Poppington Park!!  They were huge.  One of them was sitting on a fence, and the other was on top of a light pole with its wings fully extended.  I thought maybe it was going to swoop down on something, but in retropect I think he/she was warming itself!!!  I first notice one of them (the light pole one) flying - what a wingspan!!  Very very cool.

adam

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:08:25 am »

when I was in germany (01-03) for high school, our training ground was a huge nature perserve next to the base. we would run by buffalo, elk, deer (which most of the time were fenced in), but we had aware of wild boar, since they weren't. A few grunts close by and you start bookin it!

here its mostly been snakes sunning themselves on the trails. I jumped a few last year.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 08:15:44 pm »

I was "attacked" by a weenie dog.  Wasn't quite sure what to do.  The little fellow just jumped up and clamped into my skin (through my shorts, right above the knee).  I shook and shook and as he began to slip, I gave him a very firm kick right in the gut.  Don't get me wrong, I love animals...this little terror just wasn't going to let up.  Not the proudest moment of my athletic career, but at least I lived to tell the story. 
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 07:49:07 pm »

Probably not a big deal to most of you, but it scared the living daylights out of me:  I ran into a tarantula on a sidewalk in Herriman.

So, I can add that to my moose encounter, deer (or great danes---which I thought they were from far away), fox, skunk, pheasants, and too many dogs off leashes.
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 08:02:05 pm »

Probably not a big deal to most of you, but it scared the living daylights out of me:  I ran into a tarantula on a sidewalk in Herriman.

So, I can add that to my moose encounter, deer (or great danes---which I thought they were from far away), fox, skunk, pheasants, and too many dogs off leashes.

Why in the heck is there a tarantula in Herriman?!  Remind me NOT to run there!  Eeeek!  I like running past roosters in our river bottoms loop.
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 02:34:53 pm »

I think if an animal attacks, teaching it a lesson is fair game.

And this reminded me of a Brezhnev joke. Brezhnev and Reagan are taking a walk in Washington, DC. All of a sudden they are approached by a gangster who tells them they could have their last wish and he will kill them afterwards. Reagan says he wants to smoke an American cigar. The gangster grants him his wish. Then it is Brezhnev's turn. He pulls out a piece of paper and starts reading in his typical monotonous Brezhnev voice: "In the name of the Soviet people, the Soviet government, and the Communist Party of the Soviet Union I request a kick in the behind." The request is granted and sends the Soviet leader flying. Brezhnev flips over in the air, pulls out a gun, shoots and kills  the gangster. Reagan is astonished. Brezhnev, explaining, pulls out another piece of paper and reads: "The earlier actions of the attacker gave no pretext for aggression"
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: