Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 01:16:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Animal encounters  (Read 51038 times)
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 08:25:49 pm »

Hey Kim, apparently it is not so uncommon.  I freaked and thought it was someone's pet that had escaped.  BUT NOT SO!  People have had them in their garage and backyards for and so on for years!  Freaked me out sitting there all normal like on the sidewalk!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »

Yesterday I was running along the canal and saw a rat swimming alongside me with an apple in its mouth. Not very scary, but it did make me laugh.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 08:52:07 am »

I have noticed while in my garage on the wind trainer, I have a friend that I've nicknamed Stewart that shows up. he is a small, beady eyed rodent (some might call a chipmunk). He likes to carry acorns in his mouth and he stops and stares at me and I give a friendly wave and he wags his tail and runs away. I have a mission to feed him peanuts from my hand by the end of the year.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 09:27:01 am »

I have a mission to feed him peanuts from my hand by the end of the year

Hope you like rabies shots...  Grin
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 09:38:43 am »

chipmunks can carry rabies?   maybe ill feed him from a stick?
JD
Lurker

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 02:00:21 pm »

Once I saw a lion he was standing alone, with a tadpole in a jar! (Name that tune...)
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 05:43:41 am »

We had a cow from next door get loose and go galavanting through our yard! I ran like a scared little girl that I am inside!
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:52 am »

Once I saw a lion he was standing alone, with a tadpole in a jar! (Name that tune...)

Dancin' Days by Led Zeppelin....Tom will be so impressed if I'm right!  I've never been a Zeppelin fan.
Kim Lee
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 09:22:10 am »

We had a cow from next door get loose and go galavanting through our yard! I ran like a scared little girl that I am inside!

I hate cows!  I had a horrible experience with a heard of cows that I had to drive through in a jeep with no doors!  They were practically in there with me!  The cowboys on the horses were laughing their heads off at the scared little girl that I am inside!
JD
Lurker

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 10:58:42 am »

Thanks Kim, you the win the prize! (Prize to be determined by you) I thought "Dancin' Days" was an appropriate song to reference post St. George Marathon (though I didn't run it.)
You had a great marathon it looks like.
jeff
Lurker

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 12:48:48 pm »

Guess my location makes it easy.

In the last six months all in or near towns I have seen:

8 brown bears - 2 of them  too close for comfort
1 black bear - and many others where I just saw wet prints on the road
1 moose - OK quite a few miles from town
mink
martin
too many deer to count
humpback whales - ok not ON the trail but within 100 yards

Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:31 pm »

Jeff, you must live in Alaska to see all those!  Yup, your blog says you do.  You win the animal prize.

Just wondering, do you run with bear spray or a gun or anything?
jeff
Lurker

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2008, 11:08:57 am »

No I don't like carrying things while running.  I run midday when the bear encounters are less likely.  When running on the salmon stream trails I try to find someone to run with or avoid them  from August through October.  I also do not run on the road in any section of town that is on that days garbage pick up.  Bears are a part of life here and we just do the best we can to avoid them.
dave rockness
Posting Member

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2008, 06:02:27 pm »

Wow...almost stepped on a snake today!  Did one of those cartoon moves where on my way down somehow my body's able to shift in mid-air and land almost 3-4 feet away from the snake.  Thank goodness a car wasn't coming.  I'd have been toast.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2008, 07:17:21 pm »

this happened about two weeks ago, i blogged about it but i will share it here too because it was frightening. i was running down the street in a quiet neighborhood when out of nowhere a little chihuahua came cruising at me and was barking and growling. the most terrifying part is that it only had three legs. really. terrifying! it chased me for a few seconds and nipped at my ankles, but backed off when i crossed the street and was out of its' territory. i was screaming the whole time. i am just glad i got away and that (hopefully) no one else saw this encounter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: