Fast Running Blog
April 19, 2024, 08:24:01 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Pull ups  (Read 38903 times)
Michelle Lowry
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2008, 12:39:37 pm »

Mine were faced away, and I think its fair to swing on your pull ups after the first, so long you start your first straight, you don't ever touch the ground and you do go straight after the first.  At least, that's how I got to two.  I'll get to the park this week and see if I can't make it three.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2008, 05:28:55 pm »

If you work at it with the same dedication as running, it is not that tough to build up to a large number of pull-ups. A few years ago I was in a climbing phase and was able to go from about 15 to about 35 after 2-3 months of training. Really not that much different from a new runner cutting their race times significantly after just a few months of training.
Thatcher
Lurker

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2008, 06:06:07 pm »

I can do 15 right now. Last summer I went from being able to do one pull up to twenty over two months.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2008, 06:17:29 am »

I guess I'll be the ref and judge everyone else's pullups rather than embarrass msyelf further.

Total Pullups: 0. This isn't surprising since I've never done a single pullup in my life. lol They were always the reason why I could never get presidential in the Physical Fitness Test. Sad
Lybi
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 11:06:43 pm »

When I was a kid I was a gymnast and I once did 50 pull-ups.  Hands facing away, but I probably kicked a little.  Now I doubt I could even hang from the bar for 50 seconds.  I'll have to try it out and see.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2008, 04:58:54 pm »

So Benn, if you are the ref can I kick? 
Laszlo Otvos
Lurker

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 01:53:46 pm »

Boy, you guys are weak! I can do 22. Palms facing away, open hands, no kicking at all. My goal is to do 35 in 30 seconds. Once I can do that I will try out for the American Gladiators.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 02:21:32 pm »

My kids love American Gladiators.  The boobie prize with that show is that you have to (I mean GET to) be a Gladiator at the end, a lovely job I am sure, but not something I'd fancy doing.
Josse

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 02:30:56 pm »

Boy, you guys are weak! I can do 22. Palms facing away, open hands, no kicking at all. My goal is to do 35 in 30 seconds. Once I can do that I will try out for the American Gladiators.
I have a secret fantasy is to be on American Gladiators, but I want to compete against my husband so I can kick his butt.
adam

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2008, 03:29:22 pm »

I always wanted to be on Nikelodeon GUTS (with Mike O'Malley), climb the Aggro Crag, and do a victory lap with my flag.

I even had a dream about it once where I was practicing on the school monkey bars, just like they would show on the "how the kid-athletes trained at home" segement. It was sweet.
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »

I did three in a row for the first time last night Smiley)))  Minimal swing help too!
Paul Petersen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2008, 07:33:21 am »

I did three in a row for the first time last night Smiley)))  Minimal swing help too!

Reaping the benefits of that one pound weight loss to 121. ;-) When I hit sub-130 lbs last year (down from 145), I was magically able to do 15 chinups.
Benn Griffin
Posting Member

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2008, 07:23:55 am »

Anyone know if you use the same muscles for pushups as pullups? I can do a lot of pushups now, but haven't thought about attempting a pullup. Even just being able to do 1 pull up is a lifegoal of mine. Yes, sad I know, but a goal nonetheless
Michelle Lowry

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2008, 09:17:52 pm »

If its a lifetime goal then go out and attempt one.  My guess is you'll be able to do one or get close.  If not, then you'll see how far off you are.  I have no idea how to build up the muscles to do them.  I know for me, its a matter of getting rid of some of my excess weight, since a big butt does nothing for me when I'm trying to lift my body weight with my arms  Grin
James Winzenz

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2008, 11:01:00 am »

Anyone know if you use the same muscles for pushups as pullups?

It probably depends on how you do the pullup.  They still use mostly your biceps, trapezoids, deltoids and even your lats some.  Think of it as being similar to pull-downs on a nautilus machine when your arms are close together instead of far apart.  The same muscles you would use to do the pulldown would be the ones you would use for the pullup.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: