Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 02:36:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lower abdominal strain anyone?  (Read 4357 times)
Tom
Posting Member

« on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:59 pm »

Seems like about once every year I do something that I haven't exactly figured out yet that causes me muscle pains in the lower abdominal region. Someone told me once it was probably some type of abdominal strain. This year is no different as the last few days these pains have popped up again. In the past this hasn't bothered me too much and doesn't get worse with running, just kind of annoying but usually goes a way after a few days or weeks.  But I know some runners who have ended up with a "runner's hernia" that causes them much grief.

Anyone else have experience with this or have ideas about the typical cause or how best to treat it?
Dawson Hinton
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:56:32 pm »

I am not sure if what I used to ecperience was the same thing or not, but for the first 6-8 months or so of me starting to run, I would get these weird pains in my lower abdominal section after a run of more than 8 miles or so.  It didn't really hurt a ton, unless I coughed or sneezed or something like that.  It really used to bug me a lot, because I was worried that something serious might be going on.  But, as the time wore on, they got less and less severe, until I don't think I can remember the last time they were hurting a lot.  So, either the muscles got stonger and hurt less, or I built up a tolerance for the pain.  In any case, like I said, this may not even be the same thing you are experiencing.  Just my thoughts.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:49:50 pm »

I have the same thing right now. I feel it most when I cough, sneeze, or when I do crunches, but thankfully not while I run. I think it may someway be associated with tight hip flexors or weakness in the lower back.

I've found a hot water bottle on the area does wonders, but other than that I don't know what to do.
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 06:50:35 pm »

It really depends on where the pain is but if it is a hernia you will eventually need sugery to correct it.  You need to go get it checked out by a doctor to be sure.
Tom
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:57 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys. What I experience sounds very similar to what Adam and Dawson describe. For now I'll treat like I have in the past with hopefully the same results. If it gets any worse I suppose I better go see the doc.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: