Fast Running Blog
April 25, 2024, 03:56:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Outter knee pain  (Read 4808 times)
Cassie Fife
Lurker

« on: March 17, 2008, 09:35:23 pm »

Okay, I have been having some knee pain, and I read the knee pain subject that is also on here, but it doesn't sound the same as mine.  My knee hurts on the outside where it bends (my father in law thinks it is my ilio band).  Sometimes it goes into my shins, arch and ankle.  I even felt a knot on my shin after my 10K.  My shoes are new, and they fit great.  I have been running more and more, but I don't feel like I have increased too much too fast.  And the thing is, is that it is ONLY when I am running.  I feel it being sore after the run, and it hurts when I walk down stairs, but really the sharp pain only comes with running, and it doesn't hit until about 3 1/2 to 4 miles in.  Would a knee brace help?  Or should I just get it check out?  I really don't want to stop running, because I feel I am making progress finally after I had my twins.  I am new to running, so any suggestions are great.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 03:49:06 pm »

I am a little confused at where the pain is. Is it on the outside of the knee, or is it where the knee bends (front of the knee)?

In any case, since you are feeling pain all the way down into your shins, arch, and ankle, I would say that the initial problem isn't in the knee but from the foot going up, though you are feeling it in the knee.  Since you mentioned it doesn't hurt until about 30 minutes into your run, and your new shoes are right for you, I think the issue may be the running surface. I think this is especially true with the fact that you noticed it a good deal at the end of your 10k, where you probably put in more effort than usual.

If you are running on roads or sidewalks you are sometimes running on an angled surface. Running for a long duration, or at a higher intensity, on this kind of surface can change the way your foot lands, causing strain in your arch, then your ankle, up through the lower leg muscles, and pushing your knee and hip out in odd directions. You probably strained the muscles a little and inflamed it a bit.

I would not recommend the knee brace, but rather take a few easy runs on soft grass (like a soccer field) or other flat surfaced areas. It may clear up just from a bit of rest from the road. A knee brace in this situation may actually cause more problems, since you use a brace for knee stability problems, not for muscle pain.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 04:53:06 pm »

I agree that running surface may be contributing.  I have struggled with foot/shin/knee injuries and have found they are often linked to hard surfaces.  For example, avoid concrete at all costs.  Run on the edge of the road rather than the cement sidewalk if you can.  But grass, dirt, etc are better than blacktop, too.

Knee pain may also be linked to muscle tightness, such as tight hamstrings or IT band issues.  Have you looked into those?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 07:07:07 am by Jonathan Allen » Logged
James Barnes
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:14 pm »

IT band problems often stem from tightness in the butt and hamstring areas.   I would suggest some good stretching of those areas and icing where it hurts.   Also your shoes can contribute to these types of problems if they are older or not the type of shoe you need for your feet.  Softer surfaces usually help to run on like mild trails and lawn.  Stay off the treadmill!  Massages also help.
Cassie Fife
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 09:15:53 pm »

The pain is on the outside of the knee, sorry for the confusion.  I ran today, and made sure to stretch really well before, and then massaged it before and after, and iced it.  It doesn't hurt as bad, and I did 4 miles, so that is good.  I will continue with your suggestions, and hopefully I will see improvement!!!

Thanks a ton!!!
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:53 pm »

With all my experience with IT band injuries I fine it most helpful to work out the outside of the quad.   Take a rolling pin to that muscle as hard as you can stand.  Still do the stretching on the glutes and hammies.  A nice deep massage is always good.
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 07:08:46 am »

I had some knee issues for a bit, and tried icing before and after the run.  Then one observant sports trainer commented that icing before the run tightens everything up and may make it more painful.  She recommended heat before the run, ice after, and ice during the day. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: