Fast Running Blog
April 25, 2024, 11:37:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Knee pain  (Read 7231 times)
BillCo
Lurker

« on: March 13, 2008, 08:24:32 am »

I am new here and looking for some advice/answers.  I am a triathlete and currently training for a 1/2 IM.  i have started having knee pain in my right knee all the time.  It is a dull pain with a distinct clicking/popping when I bend my knee.  There is no acute pain involved currently.  I have been icing the knee after runs and rides but it seems to be constant.

Any idea what this could be or should I just go to my sport Dr. and have it diagnosed.  I would rather PT this at home if possible like I am doing with a slight shoulder impingement now.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 04:11:03 pm by Sasha Pachev » Logged
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:30:38 am »

I'd recommend getting it checked out if you're having continuous pain and can hear clicking/popping noises from it.  I believe that's a possible sign of a meniscus tear although it doesn't necessarily mean that.  Best case:  you go to the Doc, get an eval and maybe an MRI that eliminates tears as the cause, and he refers you to PT for strengthening the knee stabilizing muscles.  But with knees you're probably better safe than sorry.
I wound up in the "Best Case" scenario, had a PT try the whole kneecap taping routine with me which lasted about 5 miles in to one run, and I decided to adopt some specific quad strengthening exercises (lunges, squats, chair).  No more knee pain for me (knock on wood).
Josse
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:50:37 am »

I agree with getting it checked out.  The knees are tricky and you want to make sure there is not anything seriously wrong with it.  But in the mean time I would suggest working out the quad with a rolling pin at least once a day.  Tight quads are usally the cause of knee pain.  Try this and see if it makes any differance.  If that works I would try scrapping them (something I do and love it) if  you are interested in knowing more about it go to www.guashaorthopedic.com and you can also ask me.
Jeff Linger

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:04:53 pm »

Just another element to throw into the mix. What about your shoes? How many miles do you have on them? I had significant knee problems and was forced out of running for many years. My knee problems surrounded broken carteledge. I had a similar sound and feel to my knee as you do with yours. I would try to pick running back up again over the years, but always after 10-12 weeks of less than 30 mpw I would have to stop. This time round I bought a pair of the most cushioned shoes I could get my hands on (Nike Vomero2) and haven't had any problems. I'm now nearly 9 months back into running and am almost over the 70 mpw threshhold.
BillCo
Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:52:07 pm »

Jeff:

I was thinking the same thing about my shoes.  I got them last summer and did not notice anything with my knee until I started my program this year which is ramping the miles.  I think I will try the shoes but also talk to the Dr. just too make sure everything is sound.

Bill
Josse

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:26:03 pm »

AAA yes shoes are a big factor in injuries in my experience.  Also you said you are ramping up the mileage this could also be the culpret.  I don't see blog for you so I don't know what you have been doing but you should always ramp up slowly.  No more than 10% a week and then I take a recovery week on the 4th week.
BillCo
Lurker

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:11:36 pm »

Ramping up slowly and every 4th week is a recovery week.  I have a very detailed 18 week race plan for the HIM so I am leaning toward a shoe issue and will remedy that tomorrow.

Thanks
Bill
Jeff Linger

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 07:41:04 pm »

Although I suspect Sasha will not necessarily agree, they recommend changing shoes every 500 miles. I've gone through a pair and a half since mid-fall (and my mileage was only in the 40 mpw range prior to about 6 weeks ago). If you're on the same pair since summer (lets call that June 1st) that's about 45 weeks (give or take) which would mean you should have only been averaging 10-12 mpw to be on the same pair of shoes. Be sure to go to a store that can give you a quality evaluation of the type of shoe you should be in.
BillCo
Lurker

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 07:16:32 am »

Thanks everyone for the comments/advice.  I am going by Runner's Advantage today since they were a former sponsor of my club and have a discount that needs to be used up before they transition to another company that purchased them.  I have had the full evaluation of the type of shoe that works for me so I know what I need I just need to get them.

BTW, I have definitely done more miles than 10-12 mpw so I am definitly overdue.

Bill
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:31 am »

You might want to consider more than one pair and rotate between them.  If you run daily it helps to rotate between 2 or 3 pairs of shoes so each shoe has it's own "recovery day".  I noticed with my shoes that they didn't even last 500 miles unless I had 2 or more pairs in rotation....the cushioning gets compressed and does not have sufficient time to recovery.  Just a thought.
clock
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 07:25:59 pm »

Not only do I recommend getting the proper shoe, but I suggest getting an insole that is best for you.  I started training in a new pair of shoes, which were the same brand as my previous shoes.  The only difference is that I had a different brand of insoles.  I noticed pain in my right knee; therefore, I put in my old insoles.  Sure enough, the knee pain went away.  Go to a running store and they will be able to offer suggestions based on your stride.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: