Fast Running Blog
April 23, 2024, 06:44:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Traction on Ice, Snow and Slush  (Read 8824 times)
Dale
Posting Member

« on: February 01, 2008, 09:05:43 am »

Not a subject I normally worry about, but we seem to be having a real winter around here and I'm getting tired (literally) of routinely slipping on snow and ice during my daily runs.  I especially dislike the way it's preventing me from executing certain workouts properly (Strides in a half foot of snow was more like a bad Tazmanian Devil cartoon impression).  Was wondering if anyone had any experience or thoughts about products that augment your running shoes' normal traction.  I found three such products mentioned on the Runner's World website (below), but would welcome some personal insights...

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-323--12421-0,00.html?cm_re=HP-_-In%20This%20Issue-_-Review:%20Ice%20Cleats
Sasha Pachev
Administrator
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 11:12:24 am »

I've run with Yaktrax a couple of times. They were great on solid snow at 7:00 pace, and I could sustain a decent pace even through deep snow. However, once I tried 5:30 on a road that was half-asphalt half-snow/ice they came off after 2 miles. I imagine they do not do very well once you start landing on your toes.
adam
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 11:23:26 am »

I have used the second pair mentioned on that list (at least an older version, but still the same idea). They work really well on harder ice, and don't help much on slush/loose snow. There have been many times that those have kept me on my feet when without them I would have definately taken a spill. Aside from hearing a constant clic clac they don't get in the way much on the asphalt, and I've even contemplated using them for cross country running (when you don't want to throw on a pair of spikes, and would rather give your trainers some extra traction). I think I found mine for like $10 though, so they must have upped the price.
Dallen
Posting Member

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 11:07:18 am »

I've had a little success with the old trick of placing some short screws with the big hexagon heads into my shoes. It gives a little extra traction on ice and isn't too annoying on clear roads. Just don't screw them into your air/gel.
jtshad
Frequently Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 01:51:56 pm »

I have a set of ice cleats similar to the Petzl brand.  They work pretty good on ice and hard pack snow, but do nothing in deep loose snow.  I have a couple of friends who have done the screws in the shoes with some success.  La Sportiva even markets these screws for their shoes (at a very high price).  I have a pair of La Sportiva trail shoes that work very well in icy/snow conditions with their "stick rubber" outersole compound.  Plus, I don't normally run hard (e.g. speed) outside this time of year so with easy runs the traction isn't too bad.  That and you just adjust your mindset to expect slower times.
Dale
Posting Member

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 08:07:28 am »

Thanks for all the feedback.  Sounds like there's no one solution for the conditions I'm finding....about half my runs are usually either wet ashpalt or a mix with slush/ice and half are on snow.  Guess that's what happens when my route climbs 400+ feet and I'm on the edge of the snowline.  I may give the Petzl cleats a try since I'd say I hit ice and slush more often than loose snow. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: