Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 07:11:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Encouraging kids to run  (Read 24901 times)
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »

Okay, I have decided to go back to the basics.  We are going to walk/run atarting at a 2 minute to 2 minute ratio, then bump it up to 3:1 and see how it goes.  I guess I just assumed she was in shape enough to just run, but I was wrong!!  She really wants to do this, so i have to try to not get frustrated and just take it much slower.
Brice
Lurker

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 09:22:32 am »

Kind of off subject but to darn cute not to share.  My 2 year old likes to run with her daddy so we do relays around the house before I go out to run.  She will stretch with me too and even put my watch on when she runs.  She does one lap, stops looks at the watch and says 7:30, then its my turn Smiley

PS no idea where the 7:30 comes from.
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 02:20:10 pm »

Kind of off subject but to darn cute not to share.  My 2 year old likes to run with her daddy so we do relays around the house before I go out to run.  She will stretch with me too and even put my watch on when she runs.  She does one lap, stops looks at the watch and says 7:30, then its my turn Smiley

PS no idea where the 7:30 comes from.

THAT IS DANG CUTE!!!
Michael
Lurker

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2008, 09:19:16 pm »

My son, now 11 years old loves to run, but I think alot of that running love and running skills came from 2 things. He started out in soccer at 5 years old and was just born fast, he would score up to 10 goals in a game (not that there is any defense in 5 year olds soccer). Later he played for a club in competitive soccer (Sparta). He also developed alot of leg strength because he liked to go hiking with me in the mountains.

What makes running interesting and fun for him is variety - doing different lengths of runs from the 100 meter in track to the half marathon (once), also he likes running in different areas versus the same neighborhood run, he especially likes runs where there is scenary (versus just looking at houses or urban streets, he likes running with different people anyone from slow Dad (me) to kids his age (he can relate too) to older kids (he likes to try to beat someone older). I think meeting kids his age that like to run have created the most interest. Rewards from improving his time, doing a new PR, prizes for good finishes, race drawing prizes, after race treats all help some, but I think the encouragement he gets from me, his relatives, other adult runners have helped the most. Encouragement from great runners like Sasha and others seems to instill alot of excitement to keep running and do better.

I think I read once that an average pro soccer player runs like 8 miles in a game, so endurance is certainly a plus in soccer. Since he became a runner, he seems to last much longer with energy and endurance than most of the other players and he takes some pride in that and I think that makes him want to run more

I kind of try to balance things. Push him some but not so much that it causes resentment but enough to get him to pursue it. I give him alot of encouragement but we also talk about on ways to improve and strive. Variety and making it fun seems to have worked alot for him
Susannah Hurst
Lurker

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 05:55:49 pm »

Our regular 3 mile route is a bit of a hill the first mile, so by mile 1.2 she is always crying and gasping for air.  Her breathing is all messed up from the second she starts running!  I do not know how to teach breathing to her. 

This sounds like how I was when I first started running.  It wasn't anything big, I just needed to get in shape and before long it wasn't a problem to me anymore. 
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2008, 09:26:41 pm »

UPDATE:  For those of you who do not read my blog. my daughter ran her first 5k this past weekend.  She finished just under 29 minutes, but came in first in her age group.  She went to school today and signed up to do winter track!  I was patient with her, she learned she could do it, her 5k was a little slow for her but there were some pretty good hills, and now she says she is hooked!!  We will see where it goes from here.
Eric Day
Posting Member

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2008, 09:34:11 am »

Hey Kelli, congrats! Better be careful, your daughter will soon beat you!!

Cheers!
Kelli
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 06:26:24 pm »

Hey Kelli, congrats! Better be careful, your daughter will soon beat you!!

Cheers!

On a 5k for sure---she has the speed that I do not!!!  But i would be thrilled if she beat me!  THRILLED!!!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: