Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 07:07:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for my last 7 weeks...  (Read 9322 times)
Katie
Lurker

« on: August 25, 2014, 11:57:56 am »

Hi! I've been training for my second marathon (Chicago on October 12th) but I still feel very much like a novice in this marathon business... I would like to qualify for Boston (sub 3:35 for me). I ran last year in Columbus and finished with a 3:49:25... I've been trying my best to increase my mileage and to run 6 days a week. I recognize that my line of work (I direct a 24/7 boarding school program for high school girls) has presented a challenge in this regard, but now that classes have started again, I hope to be more consistent in running 6 days a week at least...
If anyone with experience has some spare time to look at my mileage the last few months and give me some feedback/advice as I move forward, I would GREATLY appreciate it!! I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible at this stage to actually run that BQ time.
katiet.fastrunningblog.com
Joe
Lurker

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 07:09:59 pm »

Katie, just looking at August it looks like you've already been running almost all of your miles around your BQ pace.  I see an entire 20-miler at a slightly faster than the pace you need to qualify.  I think it's in the bag.  If I was in your shoes, I'd just keep the mileage up as you've been doing (consistency is key), and maybe add some LT pace stuff, once every week or two.  So a slow warmup jog, then maybe a 20-30 minute stretch in the middle of the run, where you run faster than usual -- at your estimated 1-hour pace, instead of at marathon pace.

I think the most important thing at this point will be to get a good taper (most folks start tapering off the mileage 2 weeks out) and then run a smart race -- make and stick to a pacing plan for the race and don't get carried away in the first half like I always do.  Good luck!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: