Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 09:02:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Emigration Canyon  (Read 3734 times)
Preston
Lurker

« on: March 14, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »

I am looking for a good place to get some big down-hill miles in the Salt Lake Valley, or close to it.  I am unfamiliar with Emigration Canyon, and am looking for a bit of help.

Is it safe to run, or is there a running trail next to the road or close to it?
If it isn't a good place for good down-hill miles, what other suggestions do you have?

Thanks in advance!
Rob Murphy
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:06:09 pm »

It's as safe as any road and more safe than most. Usually has more bike traffic than cars and they can be  pain. I advise running on the South side of the road both ways. No trail, but a wide, paved shoulder most of the way.
Jake Krong
Posting Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 07:54:48 pm »

Agree with Rob - its a great place to get some uphill/downhill miles. The majority of the traffic is the people that live up there, and not many people do. Sometimes I get a little sketched out running it in the dark when cars are going fast - but in the daylight for the most part its pretty safe - the turns are wide enough. Safer than running on most of the roads in SLC!

City Creek Canyon is another good one.
Chad Robinson
Lurker

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:10:27 pm »

In addition to being relatively safe it is both runnable up and down within somewhat normal parameters.  It definately makes for a good workout.
allie
Posting Member

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 03:09:57 pm »

In addition to being relatively safe it is both runnable up and down within somewhat normal parameters.

...as long as you turn around before reaching the top of big mountain.
Preston
Lurker

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:39:17 pm »

Thanks for all the help guys!
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:03:48 pm »

I'll add another plug for City Creek Canyon.  If you start at Memory Grove, you can get in 7 uphill miles with outhouses and water fountains, some of which are on year round.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: