Fast Running Blog
March 28, 2024, 05:37:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register FAST RUNNING BLOG  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Goals for Boston to Big Sur  (Read 7853 times)
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« on: January 26, 2012, 01:14:28 pm »

I'm considering my goals for the B2B in April and would love some input based on my training and racing history that I've logged here on FRB. My last marathon was 3:06:30 on a pretty fast course so I don't think a PR is in order for either of these two events only 13 days apart. I'm thinking that finishing both with Boston qualifying times for my AG(3:25) is a reasonable place to start, but I've never ran two long races that close together before.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

Mike,  I think you should TAPER into Boston, and hit a sub-3 pr there, then take whatever you can muster at Big Sur.  Your daily workouts are remarkably consistent, and you've got year's worth of a great base.  I steadfastly believe you've got that type of a marathon in you. 
Jon Allen
Cyber Boltun

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:09:19 pm »

The odds of running a great race at the second marathon are fairly low, no matter how you do in the first.  I side with Kam- race the first (if you want), then just go super easy and have fun at the second.
Mike Davis
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 10:14:51 am »

Thanks for the encouragement Kam. I may have a sub 3 in me, but I'm not sure I want to attempt it on such a tough course. I'm worried that an all out effort in Boston would turn Big Sur into a death march at any pace. Funny, I say this knowing that I will probably cave to my competitive nature and try to PR anyway.

-Mike

Running without hills is like motorcycling without corners.
Kam
Vocal Lurker

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 01:32:51 pm »

I really think you should go all in at Boston.  It's the grand-daddy.  It's got the cache.  How cool would it be to have a sub-3 or any PR at Boston.  Come out swinging, Mike.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: